*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Chicken Fajita Salad takes all the fresh flavors of grilled chicken fajitas and puts them in salad form.
This chicken fajita salad delivers big flavor without a lot of fuss. It’s similar to our chicken avocado salad, but with a few different ingredients.
Plus, we’ve added our homemade chipotle ranch dressing to give it a smoky kick that really takes it up a notch. This salad is great if you’re looking for the tastes of a chicken fajita without the tortillas.
It’s packed with seasoned chicken, sautéed peppers and onions, ripe avocados, and fresh lime juice. This salad is a good meal prep option, too, if enjoyed within a couple of days.
How to make chicken fajita salad:
Start by seasoning the chicken. I like to use fajita seasoning, either homemade or store bought will work. Just use whatever you have on hand.
Preheat a cast iron skillet or flat skillet over medium heat. Once the pan gets hot, add the oil and the chicken.
Cook the chicken for about 5 to 6 minutes on each side or until an instant read thermometer reads 165°F when inserted into the thickest part. The cook time will differ slightly depending on the how thick the individual chicken breasts are cut.
After the chicken finishes cooking, remove it to a waiting plate to rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
Use the same pan to cook the peppers and onions. Add them to the hot pan, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the peppers soften and the onions begin to sweat.
Remove the peppers and onions from the pan, and start to assemble the salad. Place the chopped lettuce in a large serving dish, then top with sliced chicken.
Layer on the sautéed peppers and onion, and add the avocado. Add some lime wedges and sprinkle with freshly squeezed lime juice. Drizzle with chipotle ranch dressing and enjoy immediately.
Any leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator, and eaten within 3 days.
What else can you add to a chicken fajita salad?
Can you use taco seasoning in place of fajita seasoning?
Yes, you can use any seasoning of your choice. The important thing is to use a flavor you’ll enjoy.
Can you use rotisserie chicken instead of cooking the chicken?
Absolutely! Rotisserie chicken would be great on this salad and cut out about 10-12 minutes of cook time. However, it won’t be cooked the same as fajita-style chicken.
Can you use pre-sliced chicken?
Our local supermarket sells pre-sliced chicken specifically for fajitas. If you’re able to locate something similar, that would be a great option for this recipe. The only drawback is that pre-sliced chicken has a tendency to dry out easily, so watch out for that.
Other lunch recipes you may love:
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Meat and Potatoes and our sister site, Berly’s Kitchen.
- 2 Chicken Breasts, thinly sliced similar to cutlets
- 2 Teaspoons Fajita Seasoning, store bought or homemade
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado Oil
- 2 Cups Bell Peppers, cut into thin strips
- ½ Cup White Onion, thinly sliced
- 4 Cups Romaine Lettuce, chopped
- 1 Avocado, cut into slices
- 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
- ½ Cup Chipotle Ranch Dressing
- Season both sides of the chicken breasts with fajita seasoning, then set aside.
- Heat a flat skillet or cast iron pan over medium heat. Add the oil and chicken breasts, and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes on each side or until the juices run clear. Remove the chicken to a waiting plate, and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Keep the pan on medium, and add the peppers and onions. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, just until the peppers begin to soften and the onions begin to sweat. Remove from pan, and start to assemble the salad.
- Place the chopped lettuce into a large serving bowl, then top with sliced chicken. Next, add the peppers and onions, avocado, and a spritz of freshly squeezed lime juice. Drizzle the salad with chipotle ranch dressing and serve immediately.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 2 cups of salad. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 2 Cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 296Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 197mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 10gSugar: 12gProtein: 19g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.