Caesar Salad is a classic recipe, fit for any meal and occasion. Caesar dressing is known for its rich and tangy flavor. Toss in fresh Romaine lettuce, freshly shaved parmesan, and don’t forget the homemade garlic croutons for a salad that goes above and beyond. A recipe that everyone should have in their quintessential collection!
Caesar Salad can be found on almost any restaurant menu. From that fancy steak house in town to seafood shacks to fine italian cuisine to the local Main Street pizza parlor, a classic Caesar Salad compliments any meal.
Now you can make your own version at home and have enough dressing leftover to last you all week! Plus, our recipe includes freshly baked and perfectly crunchy garlic croutons. Crispy, fresh Romaine lettuce tossed in your own house made creamy, tangy, and flavorful Caesar dressing doesn’t get much better.
Add in some freshly shaved parmesan and restaurant quality just came home. Try some grilled chicken or steak medallions and turn this Caesar salad into a satisfyingly fresh lunch or dinner.
How To Make a Caesar Salad
- It’s best to start with the croutons. Preheat your oven to 400°F and line a large baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Break or cut your baguette into bite sized pieces and place them in a large bowl. Drizzle in the olive oil followed by the garlic and toss the bread pieces until coated.
- Spread the bread out onto the prepared baking pan. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, tossing or turning them half way through, until the bread is nice and toasted.
- While the croutons are baking, the Caesar dressing can be prepared. In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, anchovy paste, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese. Drizzle the salad dressing over the Romaine lettuce and gently toss.
- Serve with the freshly baked croutons and additional parmesan cheese. Use as a side, an appetizer, or the main course, and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Add slices of grilled or baked chicken to turn this side dish into the main event. Great for lunch or a light dinner!
- If time isn’t on your side, you can skip making your own croutons and use store bought.
- Anchovy paste is really what gives Caesar dressing it’s iconic taste, there are a few substitutions that will retain a similar flavor without having to use the fishy ingredient:
- Kalamata olives or olive tapenade
- Soy sauce
- Freshly minced garlic is best but you can substitute garlic powder.
- Sriracha or red pepper flakes add a nice kick of spice.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: While we don’t recommend storing this Caesar salad as a whole (no one wants a soggy salad), the homemade Caesar dressing can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week. The croutons can also be stored separately in their own airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
- 1 (10-ounce) baguette, broken or cut into bite size pieces
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 heads Romaine lettuce, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F, and line a large baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add the bread pieces to a large bowl then toss in the olive oil followed by the garlic.
- Spread the bread out onto the prepared baking pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes, tossing them half way through, or until the bread is nice and toasted.
- While the croutons are baking, in a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, anchovy paste, salt and pepper together.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese then gently toss in the Romaine lettuce.
- Serve with the croutons and additional parmesan cheese. See post for storage options.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 2 cups of Caesar Salad. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
*Photos courtesy of Karla Rae Photography.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 303Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 709mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 8g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.