Chicken Avocado Salad is an easy to prepare salad packed with fresh ingredients like romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, purple onion, and sliced avocado then dressed with a homemade lemon basil vinaigrette.
A lot of people enjoy salads during the hotter months of the year and soups and stews during Winter. We eat salads and soups year round, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that I've been making light and fresh salads with freezing cold temperatures outside.
This chicken avocado salad is a meal on its own. It's light enough for lunch and makes a great meal prep option. We used our homemade lemon basil vinaigrette as a flavorful dressing, but you can easily swap that out with your favorite.
How to make chicken avocado salad:
- Start by cooking the chicken. I like to use thinly sliced chicken breast or chicken cutlets.
- Season both sides with salt, pepper, and Italian seasonings. Set aside.
- Preheat a grill pan or griddle over medium heat. After the pan gets hot, brush it lightly with avocado oil or your choice of cooking oil.
- Place the chicken breasts onto the hot pan, and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes on each side. The cook time will vary depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts.
- An instant read thermometer should read 165°F when inserted into the thickest part of the chicken.
- After the chicken finishes cooking, transfer it to a waiting plate and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. In the meantime, fill a large serving bowl with the chopped romaine lettuce.
- Top the lettuce with the sliced chicken, halved cherry tomatoes, sliced onions, and sliced avocados. Drizzle with the lemon basil vinaigrette or your favorite dressing.
- Toss the salad to mix the ingredients, and serve in individual bowls. Serve immediately. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How do you make a chicken avocado salad without lettuce?
There are a couple of ways to make a chicken avocado salad. One way is the way we’ve made it for this recipe, grilled chicken served over a bed of romaine lettuce.
Another way is to use chopped rotisserie chicken, cubed avocadoes, and other ingredients tossed together in a similar way to chicken salad sandwich preparation. This Avocado Chicken Salad recipe is made with chicken, avocado, corn, bacon, dill, and chives, and it sounds amazing!
What can you add to chicken avocado salad?
- White Onions.
- Shredded Cheese.
- Grilled Corn.
- Feta or Goat Cheese.
- Sunflower Seeds.
Can you make this salad ahead of time?
Yes, simply prep the ingredients and assemble the salad with everything except the dressing. Keep the dressing in a separate container until you’re ready to use it.
If you’re concerned about the avocado turning brown, wait until you’re ready to serve the salad before slicing it or spritz with some lime juice.
You could even use our Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts recipe and the seasonings on this recipe to make the chicken. Then, assemble the salad when you’re ready. That would swap out the grill for a slow cooker. Adjust the seasonings as desired.
Like this recipe?
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 2 chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon(s) avocado oil
- 3 cups romaine lettuce, chopped (may substitute with lettuce mix)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup purple onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup lemon basil vinaigrette, or to taste
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Set aside.2 chicken breasts½ tsp. kosher salt¼ tsp. ground black pepper¼ tsp. Italian seasoning
- Heat a griddle or grill over medium heat. After the pan heats, brush it lightly with avocado oil then add the chicken.1 tablespoon(s) avocado oil
- Cook the chicken for 5 to 6 minutes on each side, until the juices run clear and there is no pink in the center. Remove to a waiting plate, and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Add the chopped lettuce to a large serving dish, then layer in the chicken, tomatoes, avocados, and onions. Drizzle with the lemon basil dressing, and toss to combine the ingredients.3 cups romaine lettuce1 avocado½ pint cherry tomatoes¼ cup purple onion½ cup lemon basil vinaigrette
- Divide into four serving bowls, and serve immediately. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.