Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts – Everyone needs a go to recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts in their arsenal. Make sure your chicken comes out tender, juicy, and full of flavor every time with this simple technique. Customize your chicken for any type of meal or use your crock pot for easy meal prepping for the week ahead!
This Slow Cooker Chicken Breast recipe is so versatile, it can pair with practically anything! Serve with a side of Roasted Frozen Vegetables and Garlic Mashed Potatoes. Or add some protein to our Simple Yellow Rice Recipe or creamy One-Pot Mushroom Pesto Pasta.
Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts
Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts are so easy and versatile, they’ll quickly become a staple in your weeknight dinner routine. Season them in a myriad of combinations with dry seasoning or with the marinade of your choice.
Simply coat with flavor (our taco seasoning is a great option!), set them in your slow cooker, and forget them. Within a few hours you’ll have tender, juicy, chicken ready to be sliced, shredded, diced, or enjoyed as is.
Serve over rice, pasta, potatoes, with a side of veggies, atop a salad, in a taco shell, the possibilities are endless!
How To Make Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts
- Begin with your seasoning. Combine the salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and paprika in a small bowl. Sprinkle liberally over both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Then in a measuring cup (or small saucepan or bowl) whisk together your chicken broth and butter. Pour the liquid into the slow cooker.
- Place your chicken breasts into the slow cooker in an even layer. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 4-6 hours. You’ll be able to tell your chicken is done once it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit on an instant read thermometer. You should be able to shred it easily.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes before serving. The perfect protein to pair with any meal, serve it with pasta, tacos, rice, potatoes, and more. Enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Customize these easy slow cooker chicken breasts with any seasoning you like! Try a mix of Italian or Cajun seasonings if adding to pasta, taco seasoning for easy shredded chicken tacos, or a nice bbq blend for something sweet and smokey.
- You can even add your favorite liquid marinade (like bbq sauce or Italian dressing) directly into the crockpot.
- Make sure your chicken breasts are in an even layer in the slow cooker to ensure equal cooking.
- You can also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of breasts if you prefer the flavor and texture of that cut of meat.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: Store these slow cooker chicken breasts shredded, sliced, cubed, or whole in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Perfect for meal prepping.
Freezing: You can freeze this slow cooked chicken as well. Place in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. When ready, let the chicken thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Warm it up on the stove or in the microwave or use it cold for recipes like chicken salad.
Reheating: Simply reheat slow cooked chicken in the microwave or on the stove until heated through. If frozen, make sure the chicken has completely thawed before heating.
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon dried thyme, optional
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth, room temperature or warmed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and paprika, Sprinkle over both sides of the chicken breasts.
- In a small saucepan or measuring cup, whisk together the chicken broth and butter, then pour it into the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker in an even layer, cover, and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 4-6 hours or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F on an instant read thermometer and shreds easily.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- See post for storage options.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 chicken breast. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 363mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 38g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.