This hatch green chile sauce features fire-roasted hatch chiles combined with fresh onions, fresh garlic, and a custom blend of spices!
Hatch green chile sauce, it’s a phase that brings to mind all the flavors of the Southwest. Tender grilled meats topped with savory, spicy sauces. Served alongside starchy vegetables like roasted yucca.
All you need is a glass of iced tea brewed in the New Mexico sun and you’ve got a meal to remember. By looking at my photo, you’d never guess I’m a New Mexico native. But, it’s the truth.
I played in the desert sand for the first 5 years of my life and I have an in-born love of Southwestern culture and food. So, it should come as no surprise that I adore Hatch green chiles. Today, I’m sharing that appreciation with you!
How to make Hatch chile sauce from scratch?
First, you’re going to need a food processor, or a countertop blender. Also, you need to roast the chiles. Since we have a gas stove, Kim and I can roast peppers on the iron grates. However, not everyone has that luxury. If you’re not able to use a gas stove, then here’s a few options for you to try.
- Option 1: Purchase fire-roasted Hatch chiles.
- Option 2: Roast them outside on your grill.
- Option 3: Preheat your oven to 425°F., wash and dry the peppers and rub them in avocado or vegetable oil. Place the chiles on a large sheet pan and put them into the preheated oven. Let them roast for 10-15 minutes or until the skins blister. Remove them from the oven.
Once the chiles have been roasted, they need the skins removed. Afterward, remove and discard the seeds and membranes.
Next, chop the onions and peel the garlic. Place the chiles, onions, and garlic into the food processor. Also, toss in the water, oregano, salt, and pepper. Then, pulse the ingredients into a chunky, green sauce.
After that, pour the sauce into a medium saucepan and add the broth (chicken, beef, or vegetable broth, your choice).
Place the pan over medium heat and stir the ingredients. Let the sauce come to a simmer. The Hatch green chile sauce needs to cook down for 15-20 minutes. The longer it cooks, the richer the flavor.
Last, once the sauce has cooked, turn off the heat and serve it. Alternatively, you can let it cool and store it in an air-tight container, in your fridge, for up to 5-days.
- You can serve this sauce over scrambled eggs, grilled steaks, chicken, and pork. It can also be used on all sorts of Tex-Mex dishes like tacos, burritos, and even be used enchilada sauce.
- Now, if you don’t have access to Hatch chiles, you can substitute just about any green chile pepper in place of the Hatch variety. We chose flavors that could be flexible and be used alongside banana peppers and other varieties of green chiles.
- Our sauce can be made in advance and frozen. When properly stored in your freezer, it should hold for about 3-months.
How do I clean roasted chiles?
Where do Hatch chiles come from?
- 8 Fresh Hatch Green Chiles, roasted (skins, seeds, and membranes removed)
- ⅛ Cup White Onion, rough chop
- 1 Small Clove Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- ½ Teaspoon Oregano
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- ⅛ Teaspoon Pepper, or to taste
- ⅔ Cup Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- Place the chiles, onion, garlic, water, oregano, salt, and pepper in a food processor or blender. Pulse until the ingredients are well combined and chunky.
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan, and add the broth. Stir to combine, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook the sauce for 15 to 20 minutes or until the desired consistency is reached. Add more liquid to thin out the sauce if needed.
- Serve over enchiladas, eggs, potatoes, or nachos. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1-ounce of the fire-roasted Hatch green chile sauce. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information and tips, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 47Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 161mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.