Watermelon Agua Fresca is a cool, fruity, non-alcoholic drink perfect for sipping away those hot summer days. Watermelon, lime juice, water, and sugar are all you need to blend up this delicious drink. Try different fruits and garnishes to make variations of frescas and stay refreshed all summer long!
For a light lunch, pair this Watermelon Agua Fresca with our flavorful Broccoli Salad. If you’re looking for a fruity dessert, try our Tropical Fruit Salad with Coconut. Or if serving a round of Watermelon Agua Frescas for a small get together, try pairing with our Prosciutto and Melon appetizers or homemade Apple Chips for a starter!
Watermelon Agua Fresca
Summer is right around the corner – time for patios and picnics, pools and potlucks! What better way to beat the heat than a refreshing and delicious Agua Fresca.
What is an Agua Fresca? Agua Fresca is a fruit juice made of fresh fruit blended with water, lime juice, and sugar. It’s a popular drink in Mexico and Central America. While it can be made with many types of fruit, we’re using watermelon in our recipe.
Something about the sweet taste of watermelon mixed with lime juice just seems like the perfect combination. Make this drink as sweet as you like or rely more on the watermelon and lime flavors. Blend up a batch, serve over ice, and melt away that heat and humidity!
How To Make Watermelon Agua Fresca
- Scoop out the inside of your 8-pound watermelon. Place the fruit into a large capacity blender. Add 2 cups of water, granulated sugar, and lime juice. Blend until smooth.
- Continue to blend in more water and sugar until you get the consistency and taste you prefer. Strain the watermelon juice through a fine mesh sieve or colander into a large pitcher.
- If you like pulp, leave as is. If you prefer a juice with less pulp, strain the mixture 2-3 more times or as needed until you reach the smoothness you desire.
- Chill the agua fresca in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Pour over ice and garnish with lime wedges and thinly sliced watermelon wedges. Cheers!
Tips and Variations:
- Some other fruits to make frescas with:
- Cucumber (add some mint!)
- Strain the juice multiple times to remove pulp, or strain once if you don’t mind a touch of pulp in your drink.
- A garnish of mint or basil adds an interesting flavor to the juice.
- Add ice to make a more slushy like drink.
- We don’t recommend using berries like blackberries, raspberries, or blueberries as they are too seedy and are hard to strain the seeds out.
- Start with less sugar. You can always add more.
- Depending on how juicy your watermelon is, you may want to start with less water and only add more if needed.
Storage: This watermelon agua fresca can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Agua FrescaPrint Pin SaveSaved!
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 8 pounds watermelon scooped out of the rind (about 8 cups)
- 2-3 cups water
- ½ cup granulated sugar plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice freshly squeezed
- Scoop out the watermelon, and place it into a large capacity blender. Add 2 cups of water, sugar, and lime juice and blend until smooth.8 pounds watermelon2-3 cups water½ cup granulated sugar1 tablespoon lime juice
- Blend in more water and sugar as needed. Pour the juice through a fine mesh sieve into a large pitcher.
- Strain it 2-3 more times as needed to get an even smoother juice, or leave it as is if you don’t mind juice with more pulp.
- Chill until ready to serve. Pour it over ice and garnish with thinly sliced watermelon wedges and lime wedges if desired.
- See post for storage options.