Prosciutto and Melon - A little sweet, a little salty, a lot of flavor, these Prosciutto and Melon Skewers are a delectable twist on a classic party appetizer that will take your soiree to the next level!
Layers of sweet cantaloupe and rich prosciutto are drizzled with a tangy balsamic glaze. Elegant and appetizing, these skewers are the perfect touch to a fancy cheese board, or as a standalone hors d'oeuvre!
Tips and Variations
- If cantaloupe isn’t your favorite, try swapping it for another juicy fruit like pears or figs.
- Make sure to use the sweeter and thicker balsamic glaze as opposed to balsamic vinegar which is much thinner and acidic.
- Three or four inch toothpicks are the perfect size to make these skewers.
- You can use marinated mozzarella balls (otherwise known as Bocconcini) to add even more flavor to your appetizer.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: We don’t recommend storing prosciutto and melon for more than a day. The moisture from the mozzarella and cantaloupe will make the basil leaves and prosciutto soggy. It’s best to enjoy this appetizer the day it is created. However, you can store each ingredient separately. You can also prep your melon ahead of time, up to 4 days in advance.
Reheating: No heating or reheating in this fresh recipe!
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 3 pounds cantaloupe, scooped into 1-inch melon balls
- 4 ounces prosciutto, each piece cut in half lengthwise
- 20 to 25 basil leaves
- 8 ounces mozzarella pearls
- 2 ounces balsamic glaze
- Pinch Salt and pepper
- Thread a cantaloupe ball onto a long toothpick. Loosely fold up a piece of prosciutto, and thread it into the toothpick on top of the melon.3 pounds cantaloupe4 ounces prosciutto
- Follow it up with a folded basil leaf and 2-3 mozzarella pears. Add another melon ball to finish off the skewer.20 to 25 basil leaves8 ounces mozzarella pearls
- Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients.
- Layer the melon skewers onto a large plate. Drizzle with balsamic glaze followed by a light sprinkling of salt and pepper.2 ounces balsamic glazePinch Salt and pepper
- Serve immediately! See post for storage options.