Cream Cheese Bruschetta is a spin on traditional tomato bruschetta. This version has a layer of creamy, basil cream cheese just beneath the tomato mixture that adds a wonderful taste and texture that takes this appetizer up a notch.
Tomato bruschetta is one of the quickest and easiest appetizers to prepare. It also happens to be one of the tastiest.
We use cream cheese as a base for several appetizers and dips like our cranberry brie crostini, garlic dip, and roasted garlic cream cheese crostini. It made complete sense to add some flavored cream cheese to our bruschetta recipe, too.
The results were amazing, and it didn't take any time to prepare.
How to make cream cheese bruschetta:
Cut a baguette into ½-inch thick slices, and place on a baking sheet. Bake on 350°F for about 10 minutes or until they're lightly toasted.
While the bread is toasting, make the basil cream cheese. This is nothing crazy or super fancy.
Simply julienne about a tablespoon of fresh basil, and stir it with four ounces of softened cream cheese. Set it aside.
Next, make the tomato bruschetta. Add the diced tomatoes, onions, garlic, basil, and olive oil to a large bowl. Stir to combine.
Taste, and season with salt and pepper. Keep in mind that the cream cheese will change these flavors a bit.
I needed to add a pinch more salt than normal to compensate for the added cream cheese. After the tomato mixture is ready, set it aside, and grab the baguette slices and cream cheese.
Smear about a tablespoon of cream cheese onto each slice of bread. It may be a little more or a little less depending on the width of the slices.
Top each slice with a tablespoon of bruschetta mixture, then add a sprinkling of shredded Parmesan cheese.
For an extra touch, add a drizzle of balsamic glaze or some more fresh basil. Serve immediately.
How do you keep bruschetta from getting soggy?
Start by deseeding the tomatoes and removing the membranes. This helps to remove much of the moisture that can soak into the bread.
Toast the baguette until slightly crunchy. When the bread has a crunchy exterior, it provides a barrier against excess moisture.
Don’t assemble the cream cheese bruschetta until you’re ready to serve it. That way everything is nice and fresh and hasn’t had time to sit and get soggy.
Is bruschetta supposed to be hot or cold?
Bruschetta is traditionally served as a cold appetizer or snack.
Can you use dried basil in place of fresh basil in bruschetta?
Fresh basil is best for bruschetta. However, if you’re making cream cheese bruschetta, you could substitute 1 teaspoon of dried basil for 1 tablespoon of fresh basil in the cream cheese mixture.
Do you have to peel tomatoes for bruschetta?
No, it’s not necessary to peel tomatoes for bruschetta. Simply deseed, remove the membranes, and finely dice them into small chunks.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 16 slices French baguette, or rustic sourdough loaf, sliced and toasted
Cream Cheese Spread:
- 4 ounces block-style cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon(s) basil, fresh, chiffonade
- 1 pound roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup white onion, diced
- ½ cup basil, fresh, chiffonade
- 2 garlic cloves, medium in size, minced
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, shredded off the block (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Slice the baguette into ½-inch thick slices, and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes until the bread is lightly toasted. Remove from oven and set aside.16 slices French baguette
Cream Cheese Spread:
- Place the softened cream cheese and basil in a small bowl. Use a spoon to combine. Set aside.4 ounces block-style cream cheese1 tablespoon(s) basil
- Place the tomatoes, onions, garlic, basil, and olive oil in a medium bowl. Stir to combine. Taste, and season with salt and pepper.1 pound roma tomatoes½ cup white onion½ cup basil2 garlic cloves2 tablespoon(s) olive oilSalt and pepper
- Spread approximately 1 tablespoon of basil cream cheese onto each slice of toasted bread. Top with about 1 - 1 ½ tablespoons of bruschetta mixture. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Serve immediately. The bruschetta may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Store unassembled in separate containers for best results.
- Please see information in the post/article for answers to frequently asked questions.