Our Mushroom Toast features sautéed baby Bella mushrooms and garlic on a bed of soft cream cheese seasoned with fresh thyme all served on toasted bread.
This easy, creamy appetizer tastes delicious and adds a touch of elegance. It's no secret that we love small, bite-sized appetizers. This cheesy mushroom toast with fresh herbs is just that!
This toast is simple, flavorful, and pairs well with nice Pinot Noir. Best of all, it can be prepared in as little as 15-minutes. Serve it up on slices of sourdough bread, Italian bread, or even French bread. Whichever is your favorite will work.
How to Make Mushroom Toast:
- Start by removing the cream cheese 1 to 2 hours prior to making the mushroom and thyme toast recipe. You want cream cheese super soft and easy to stir.
- Once the cheese has softened, place it into a large mixing bowl with the fresh thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir the ingredients until they're well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and slice a loaf of bakery style bread into ½-inch thick slices. We like to use sourdough, French or Italian bread.
- Arrange the bread slices onto a baking sheet and bake for 5 to 7 minutes, just long enough to toast.
- While the bread toasts, start sauteing the mushrooms. Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat.
- Add the oil and allow it to warm. After it gets warm, toss in the mushrooms and onions. (You're essentially making sauteed mushrooms and onions.)
- When the mushrooms and onions are softened to your liking, add the garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook the mixture for another 30 seconds or so, just long enough to make the garlic aromatic.
- Remove the mushrooms and onions from heat and let them cool briefly.
- Spread a couple of tablespoons of herb cream cheese over each of the toasted bread slices. Spoon a little of the sauteed mushrooms and onions over the cream cheese. Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves if desired.
Mushroom Cream Cheese Toast Tips and Variations:
- We love herb cream cheese as a base for mushroom toast. If cream cheese isn't your thing, try making the mushroom appetizer without the cream cheese. Or, use shredded cheese instead. Gruyere, Monterey jack, or even mozzarella would be great additions.
- Mushroom release a lot of liquid as they cook. Try to drain as much of that excess moisture off before adding the mushrooms to the bread.
- Adjust the salt, pepper, and herbs to your tastes. No one likes an over or under seasoned dish.
- We think toast with mushrooms makes a fantastic appetizer recipe, but did you know it's also great for breakfast and brunch? Pair mushroom herb toast with eggs, a slice of avocado, or a green smoothie for a filling meal.
Why use cream cheese on mushroom toast?
Mushrooms have a lot of moisture. The cream cheese creates a flavorful barrier between the mushrooms and the toasted bread keeping the bread from becoming soggy.
What’s a substitution for thyme?
Some people don’t care for fresh thyme. A great substitution is an Italian seasoning blend. While it still contains dried thyme, it also provides an earthy blend of flavors that can provide a balance to the overwhelming taste of thyme. Some other good options are basil, oregano, or marjoram.
Creamy mushroom toast is best enjoyed immediately. Once it's assembled, it doesn't store well. However, you can make the cream cheese and sauteed mushrooms and store them separately for up to 1 day in advance. Prepare the bread just prior to serving.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
Cream Cheese Mixture
- 8 ounces block-style cream cheese, softened
- ½ tsp. thyme leaves
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt, or to taste
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 pound baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- ¼ cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 12 pieces Italian bread, or French bread, toasted
For the Cream Cheese Mixture
- In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, salt, pepper, and thyme. Set aside.8 ounces block-style cream cheese¼ tsp. kosher salt⅛ tsp. ground black pepper½ tsp. thyme leaves
For the Sauteed Mushrooms
- Heat a medium pan over medium heat. Add the oil, and heat until warm. Add the mushrooms and onions. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper. Saute for an additional minute then remove from heat.1 tablespoon(s) olive oil1 pound baby bella mushrooms¼ cup white onion1 garlic clove¼ tsp. kosher salt⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- Place 1 to 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture onto a slice of toast. Top with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with additional fresh thyme if desired.12 pieces Italian bread
- Serve immediately.