Homemade vegetable soup is one of the best comfort foods around! It’s full of potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, tomatoes, and your choice of frozen veggies. This soup is pure comfort in a bowl.
The great thing about vegetable soup is that it’s versatile, so you can add your favorite veggies and leave out the ones you don’t like. It doesn’t take any time at all to cook either, so you can go from prep to table in about 30 to 45 minutes.
How to make homemade vegetable soup:
Start by prepping all the ingredients, but leave the frozen vegetables in the freezer until the very end. Heat a large pan or soup pot over medium heat.
Add the oil, carrots, and celery. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the onion begins to soften.
(You can add the garlic, salt, pepper, and Italian seasonings next, and cook them for 30 seconds to a minute. Normally, that’s what I would do, but I got distracted while taking the photos and shooting the videos, so they didn’t go in until later. That’s how I wrote the recipe, too, so everything matched.)
Next, add the potatoes, tomatoes, Italian seasonings, salt, and pepper. Then, add the broth.
Stir the ingredients to combine, and bring the soup to a boil. After the soup begins to boil, reduce it to a simmer.
Continue to cook the vegetable soup at a simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and cooked to the desired doneness.
After the potatoes become fork tender, pour in the frozen vegetables. This will bring down the temperature of the soup considerably.
What can I add to vegetable soup to make it taste better?
In regards to the liquid, use broth instead of water. For spices, use earthy, flavorful herbs and spices like, Italian seasoning, thyme, rosemary, oregano, herbs de Provence, basil, smoked paprika, a pinch of cayenne, or even red pepper flakes.
How do you add protein to vegetable soup?
Add your favorite canned beans or cooked beans, like chickpeas, kidney beans, or white beans, for some added protein. Here’s an Easy Homemade Tomato Soup recipe that has kidney beans.
Do you need tomato paste in homemade vegetable soup?
No, tomato paste isn’t necessary in homemade vegetable soup. However, if you decide to use a tablespoon or two, add it after sautéing the onions, carrots, and celery.
Can you make creamy vegetable soup?
Yes, add a little heavy cream or half and half. For a dairy-free version, add coconut milk or a milk alternative.
Other lunch recipes you may enjoy:
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
- 1 Cup White Onion, diced
- 2 Large Carrots, peeled and chopped
- ½ Cup Celery, chopped
- 1 Pound Potatoes, russet, cut into ½ -inch chunks
- 6 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 (15 Ounce) Can Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 1 Large Garlic Clove, minced or pressed
- 2 Teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 2 Teaspoons Salt, or to taste
- ½ Teaspoon Black Pepper, or to taste
- 12 Ounces Frozen Mixed Vegetables, any variety you like
- Heat a large pan over low-medium heat, then add the oil and onion. Cook the onions, carrots, and celery until the onions begin to soften, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, vegetable broth, tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasonings, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine, and bring to a simmer. Cook at a simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Once the potatoes are cooked to the desired consistency, add the frozen vegetables, and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, just long enough to heat the vegetables.
- Remove from heat, and serve with crackers, cornbread, or bread. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1.5 cups of soup. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1.5 Cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 129Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1093mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 4g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.