Italian Wedding Soup is a warm and comforting dish packed with flavor. Tender meatballs, fresh vegetables, pasta, all married together in a rich broth. Serve it as an appetizer or as a meal all on its own!
Serve this savory soup with our Italian Marinated Grilled Chicken, a sourdough biscuit for getting every last drop, or a side of Parmesan Risotto. Or try whipping up the famous Feta Pasta (yes, the TikTok Recipe) as the main dish!
Italian Wedding Soup
Did you know that the name for Italian Wedding Soup comes from the marrying of all the flavors? This classic soup combines hearty meatballs and fresh vegetables like no other.
Not to mention that wonderful garlic taste blended together in rich and savory broth with sharp parmesan cheese to top it all off.
Don’t let making your own baked meatballs feel daunting. After this recipe, you’ll be a master!
Tips and Variations
- Feel free to use only ground beef or only ground chicken or a mixture of whatever you prefer. As long as it equals about 1 pound of ground meat, it’s up to you.
- Sear the meatballs first to add a crisp to the outside and seal in those flavors.
- Use small pasta as opposed to egg noodles or something larger. Small pasta pieces are the traditional option and really set this soup apart.
- Add celery for an extra bit of green and flavor!
Steps and Reheating
Refrigerator: Store any leftovers you have in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Freezer: This recipe is perfect to freeze! This soup will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 6 months. We do recommend freezing without the pasta if possible and waiting until ready to serve to add in the pasta.
Reheating: To reheat, pop in the microwave or warm on the stove until heated through. If reheating from freezing, allow it to thaw first.
Frequently Asked Questions
What's the best pasta to use in Italian wedding soup?
We like to use acini de pepe. If you can't find that, ditalini or orzo works as a substitute.
Can I use kale instead of spinach?
Yes! Kale works great in place of spinach. It takes longer to cook and soften than spinach, so you'll want to add it when you add the pasta.
More Savory Soup Recipes to Try
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- ½ pound ground chicken, (*See note)
- ½ pound ground beef, or pork (*See note)
- ⅓ cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for the soup
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 8 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound acini de pepe, or orzo pasta
- 2 cups spinach, fresh
- Mix the chicken, beef and/or pork together in a large bowl. Add the breadcrumbs, parmesan, egg, salt, rosemary and parsley, and stir to combine.½ pound ground chicken½ pound ground beef⅓ cup Italian style breadcrumbs¼ cup parmesan cheese1 large egg1 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon dried rosemary1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Form 1-inch balls from the mixture. Heat a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, and add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Add the meatballs, and cook on all sides until they are cooked through, about 8 minutes. You may have to do this in two batches if the pan is small.
- Remove the meatballs from the pan, and set aside. To the same pan, add the onion, and cook until it becomes translucent, about 5 minutes.½ white onion
- Stir in the garlic and cook until it becomes fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the carrots and celery and cook for another 5 minutes or until slightly softened.3 garlic cloves3 carrots3 stalks celery
- Pour in the chicken broth and add the bay leaves. Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat then reduce the heat to medium. Stir in the pasta and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes.8 cups chicken broth2 bay leaves1 pound acini de pepe
- Stir in the meatballs and the spinach, cover, and let it simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes or until the spinach has reduced significantly and the pasta is cooked to your liking.2 cups spinach
- Serve with freshly chopped parsley for garnish if desired. See post for storage options.