Broccoli Cheddar Soup has taken the top spot of favorite soups in recent years! How could it not with fresh, tender broccoli florets, savory diced onions, shredded carrots, and of course all that creamy melted cheddar cheese. Great for lunch or dinner and ready in 30 minutes or less!
Serve this soup alongside a Turkey Avocado Club sandwich for lunch. Or with a refreshing bowl of our Apple Cranberry Walnut Salad. Our soft and chewy French Bread or a freshly baked Dinner Roll is perfect for dipping, you’ll want to eat the whole loaf!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Whoever decided broccoli and cheddar cheese made the perfect pair should be thanked. Profusely. Especially whoever decided to turn that combination into a creamy dreamy soup!
It seems like Panera put Broccoli Cheddar soup on the market, but this classic dish has been around for decades! A quick and easy dinner, this soup is simple, savory, and ready to eat in under half an hour.
It’s perfect for a busy weeknight meal while still providing all the comfort of home cooking. The leftovers make for the best lunch, too. Make your favorite soup anytime in the comfort of your own home, no buzzer or long lines needed!
How to Make Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and blanch the broccoli florets for 2-3 minutes until soft and bright green in color. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large stock pot over low-medium heat. Add in the onions and carrots. Cook for 3-5 minutes until they begin to soften. Next toss in the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Careful not to burn.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes to remove any raw flour taste. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth, heavy cream, and milk for the broth. Continue to whisk until the mixture thickens slightly and begins to steep. Don’t let the liquid boil.
- While whisking, add the shredded cheese a little at a time. Make sure to whisk well between each addition to ensure all the cheese is melted before adding more.
- Add the broccoli florets back to the soup. If you prefer smaller pieces of broccoli, you can use an immersion blender to blend the florets down.
- Sprinkle in the salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve hot with extra broccoli and cheese on top and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Bacon bits and a drizzle of sriracha over top will take this soup to the next level!
- Serve this soup Panera style in a bread bowl. Or Even over a baked potato.
- Add in some paprika for flavor.
- If you’d like to add some protein to your soup, shredded chicken is a great mix in!
- For a thicker soup you can make a slurry of cornstarch and water to add in at the end of cooking.
What goes with broccoli cheddar soup?
Is broccoli cheddar soup gluten free?
Our version of broccoli cheese soup is not gluten free. However, it can be made gluten free by swapping out the flour for a 1:1 gluten free flour blend that contains a thickener like xanthan gum and ensuring the remaining ingredients are certified gluten free. You could also omit the flour and substitute it for a cornstarch slurry.
Storage and Reheating
Refrigerator: You can store any leftover Broccoli Cheddar Soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days to retain the freshest flavor.
Freezer: Broccoli cheese soup freezes well in freezer bags. Lay the bags flat to save space in the freezer. The soup will stay good for about 2 months. Just a note about freezing the soup, it can change the texture slightly.
Reheating: To reheat, place soup in a microwave safe bowl and heat until warmed through. You can also reheat this soup on the stove.
To reheat from frozen, place the soup in the refrigerator to thaw before attempting to reheat. This will lessen the chance of the soup separating as it heats.
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, shredded or matchstick
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and blanch the broccoli florets for 2-3 minutes until soft and bright green in color. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large stock pot over low-medium heat. Add the onions and carrots. Cook for 3-5 minutes until they begin to soften. Add the garlic, and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pan, and cook for 2-3 minutes to remove any raw flour taste. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth, heavy cream, and milk. Continue to whisk until the mixture thickens slightly and begins to steep. Don’t let the liquid boil.
- While whisking, add the shredded cheese little bits at a time. Make sure to whisk well between each addition to ensure all the cheese is melted.
- Add the broccoli florets back to the soup. Optional: Use an immersion blender to blend the florets down, so they aren’t in large pieces.
- Taste the soup, and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve hot with extra broccoli and cheese on top. See post for storage options.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 cup of soup. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 556Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 832mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 6gSugar: 10gProtein: 19g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.