There’s nothing like a big, hearty bowl of Vegetable Beef Soup to warm the heart and soul as the weather gets chilly! Made with tender beef stew meat, diced carrots, celery, onion, and potatoes, and steeped in a seasoned broth. This soup will keep you cozy all through those colder months.
Serve this soup with our moist and fluffy Skillet Cornbread, a piece of Italian Bread, or a side of our buttery Sourdough Biscuits! You can also never go wrong with a good grilled cheese dipped right into the broth!
Vegetable Beef Soup
Tender beef stew meat. Packed with vegetables galore. Hearty potatoes. Savory broth. A mix of seasonings that are simply mouthwatering. What’s not to love about this Vegetable Beef Soup? It’s the ultimate in cozy comfort food.
As the weather gets cooler, the stoves get hotter. Get your Dutch oven and slow cookers ready, because we are officially about to enter soup season!
This recipe will keep you warm all season long. It’s totally customizable so you can add as many veggies as you like or leave out anything you don’t. Add in beans for extra protein and use a frozen vegetable medley to save time.
Serve this soup up hot with your choice of bread on the side, sit back, and relax in the filling comfort of a big bowl of classic Vegetable Beef Soup.
How to Make Vegetable Beef Soup
- Heat a large pot or a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add in a tablespoon of cooking oil and, working in batches, add pieces of stew meat to the hot pan.
- Cook the meat for about 1-2 minutes on each side, just until browned. Use tongs to remove the meat, and place on a waiting plate. Continue with the remaining meat until all pieces have been browned.
- After the meat is cooked, add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pot along with the onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds up to 1 minute.
- Pour in the broth, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, thyme, and return the meat back to the pan. Cook over a low simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Add the potatoes, and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender. The stew meat should also be cooked through and tender.
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables and cook for another 2-3 minutes until warmed through. Serve hot and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- While frozen mixed veggies will save you time, you can use your own fresh favorites.
- Skip the beef and make this a vegetarian option.
- Customize your soup with your favorite veggies and leave out the ones you don’t like!
- You can make a creamy version by adding a splash of half and half (or your favorite non dairy alternative).
- Add some red pepper flakes or hot sauce to spice things up.
Storage and Reheating
Refrigerator: Store any leftover Vegetable Beef Soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freezer: This soup is also perfect to freeze! Store in a freezer safe container and it’ll stay fresh for up to 6 months.
Reheating: Simply heat through on the stove or the microwave. If frozen, let the soup thaw completely before heating.
Vegetable Beef SoupPrint Pin SaveSaved!
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
For Sauteing the Meat
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil canola, vegetable, etc.
- 1 ½ pounds stew meat
- Salt and pepper for seasoning meat and the soup
For the Soup
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil canola, vegetable, etc.
- 1 white onion large in size, diced
- 2 carrots large in size, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 1 garlic cloves minced
- 8 cups beef broth may substitute with chicken or vegetable broth
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes undrained (1 can)
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon thyme dried
- 1 pound russet potatoes peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 12 ounces mixed vegetables frozen
To Saute the Meat
- Heat a large pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of cooking oil to the pan. While the oil heats, season the meat with salt and pepper. Work in batches and add pieces of stew meat to the hot pan.1 tablespoon cooking oil1 ½ pounds stew meatSalt and pepper
- Cook the meat for 1-2 minutes on each side, just until browned. Use tongs to remove the meat, and place on a waiting plate. Continue with the remaining meat.
To Make the Soup
- After the meat is cooked, add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan along with the onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute.1 tablespoon cooking oil1 white onion2 carrots1 celery stalk1 garlic cloves
- Pour in the broth, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, thyme, and return the meat back to the pan. Cook over a low simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.8 cups beef broth15 ounces diced tomatoes2 teaspoons Italian seasoning½ teaspoon thyme
- Add the potatoes, and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender. The stew meat should also be cooked through and tender.1 pound russet potatoes
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables, and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Serve hot!12 ounces mixed vegetables
- See post for storage options.