A classic Italian dish, Baked Chicken Caprese has it all. Tangy balsamic glaze, melted fresh mozzarella cheese, spiced with basil and oregano, and topped with fresh tomatoes before being baked to perfection. It’s a great healthy recipe to ring in the new year.
Trying to decide what to serve with your chicken caprese? Serve it over a bed of Roasted Garlic and Olive Oil Spaghetti. Or with a side Caesar Salad and a heaping bowl of Italian Wedding Soup! Finish up the meal with a sweet treat like a batch of Chocolate Filled Pastries or a Molten Chocolate Lava Cake.
This Baked Chicken Caprese is so tender and juicy. It’s easy to make for a weeknight meal but is impressive enough to be served at your next dinner party. Caprese may sound fancy but it really just means a combination of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil.
This combination is often used for salads or appetizers but also makes for a mouthwatering Italian inspired chicken dish! Able to be thrown together in minutes and baked in just about half an hour, this flavorful recipe will look like you’ve been working in the kitchen all day.
Pair it with your favorite simple salad for lunch or a sauteed veggie side for dinner! Serving over a bed of penne or the pasta of your choice is a great option as well!
How To Make Chicken Caprese
See the recipe card below for the ingredient amounts and full instructions.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir the dried basil, oregano, salt, and pepper together. Generously season both sides of the chicken breasts with this mixture and save any leftover seasoning.
- In a 9x13 inch baking dish, pour in half of the olive oil. Next, add the cherry tomatoes, minced garlic, and any remaining seasoning not used on the chicken. Toss to combine.
- Now, place the seasoned chicken into the dish and arrange the cherry tomatoes around the chicken so that they bake evenly.
- Top each chicken breast with 2 slices of tomato then place 2 slices of cheese on top of the tomatoes.
- Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the dish and then drizzle on the remaining olive oil as well.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until an instant thermometer reads 165°F when inserted into the thickest part of the chicken breasts.
- Serve with a garnish of freshly chopped basil and another drizzle of balsamic glaze and enjoy.
Tips and Variations
- Be sure not to overbake. You’ll want the chicken to reach an internal temperature of 165°F. To make sure your meat retains that juiciness, let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before cutting into it. That’s why a meat thermometer comes in so handy!
- For a twist on the classic, serve this on a sub roll for an Italian inspired sandwich.
- You can use an Italian seasoning mix to save time.
- Fresh mozzarella slices are standard but you can use shredded if that’s what you have on hand.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: Store leftover Chicken Caprese in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
Freezer: Freezing is not recommended due to the amount of fresh ingredients in this recipe.
Reheating: To reheat this chicken, pop it in the microwave or in the oven until warmed through. Add additional balsamic glaze if desired.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 1 tsp. basil, dried
- 1 tsp. oregano, dried
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 chicken breasts, trimmed and cleaned
- 4 tablespoon(s) olive oil, divided
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, fresh, sliced into 8 equal slices
- 1 tablespoon(s) balsamic glaze, plus more for serving
- Fresh basil for garnish, sliced or left whole
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Stir the dried basil, oregano, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Season both sides of the chicken breasts with the mixture, and save any remaining seasoning.1 tsp. basil1 tsp. oregano½ tsp. kosher salt½ tsp. ground black pepper4 chicken breasts
- Pour half of the olive oil into a 9x13 inch casserole dish. Next, add the cherry tomatoes, garlic and any remaining seasoning not used to season the chicken. Toss to combine.4 tablespoon(s) olive oil1 pint cherry tomatoes3 cloves garlic
- Place the chicken into the pan, and arrange the cherry tomatoes around the chicken so that they bake evenly.
- Place 2 slices of tomato on the tops of each chicken breast then place 2 slices of cheese on top of the tomatoes.2 tomatoes8 ounces mozzarella cheese
- Drizzle on the balsamic glaze then drizzle on the remaining olive oil.1 tablespoon(s) balsamic glaze
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until an instant thermometer reads 165°F when inserted into the thickest part of the chicken.
- Serve with freshly chopped basil and another drizzle of balsamic glaze if desired.