This Chicken and Noodles Recipe is the ultimate comfort food ready with just 15 minutes of prep! It features bites of juicy chicken tossed with tender egg noodles in a creamy and savory sauce.
Easy and Classic Comfort Food Dish
I love one pot meals. And this Chicken and Noodles Recipe is a go-to recipe in our house...not only because it's delicious and approved by picky eaters, but also because it's an insanely easy recipe that uses only simple ingredients.
This family favorite starts with pre-cooked, tender chicken that's diced or shredded, then mixed together with egg noodles in a creamy sauce made with canned of cream of chicken soup, white onion, broth, and butter. It's creamy, savory, delicious, and a meal that the whole family will devour.
Enjoy with a side dish or two for the best dinner you've had in a long time! Make a big batch so you have dinner ready for the next day too!
This old fashioned chicken and noodles recipe is as easy as it gets!
Scroll to the recipe card below for the ingredient amounts and full instructions.
- Heat a large skillet on the stove top over medium heat, then add in the butter and onions. Cook until softened, add in the garlic, then cook for another minute.
- Pour in the broth, cream of chicken soup, water, and heavy cream. Whisk to combine, then turn the heat up slightly.
- Allow the mixture to come to a low boil, add in the egg noodles, then reduce the heat and summer until the noodles are cooked al dente.
- Add the chicken into the cooked noodles mixture, then simmer until warmed through. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh parsley.
Tips and Notes
- Cook times will vary. The total cooking time can vary depending on the type of noodles you use and whether you use a gas or electric stove. Check the noodles early, then add time as needed until they are cooked to your liking.
- If the liquid is cooking down too fast, add a little bit of extra water or broth to the mix until the noodles are cooked through. Keep in mind that adding extra broth will also add extra sodium to the recipe.
- Use leftover chicken. I like to use pre-cooked, leftover chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken to keep the prep to a minimum. I use 3-4 pieces of diced or shredded chicken!
- If you want to cook chicken for this recipe, check out my oven-baked chicken breast or my crockpot chicken breast.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days.
To reheat, place into an oven-safe baking dish and bake at 350ºF until heated through. If the noodles seem a little bit dry, add a splash of broth to moisten the mixture.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Add Vegetables to This Recipe?
Yes! Frozen mixed vegetables work really well in this chicken recipe. Add your favorite along with the chicken, and be sure to give them a few minutes cook through.
How Do You Thicken Chicken and Noodles?
The best way to thicken your chicken and noodles is to just let the mixture simmer. As it simmers, excess moisture will evaporate and your dish will thicken.
If the sauce still isn't as thick as you want it to be, you can whisk together 3 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch or all-purpose flour to make a slurry.
Add little bits of that at a time into the sauce until it reaches your desired texture. Keep in mind that the mixture will also thicken up as it cools!
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ medium white onion, diced
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (10 ½ ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles, uncooked
- 4 cups leftover chicken, diced or shredded (about 3 to 4 pieces of chicken)
- Heat a large skillet or pan over medium heat. Add the butter and onions, and cook until the onions soften. Then, add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute.2 tablespoons unsalted butter½ medium white onion2 to 3 garlic cloves
- Pour in broth, cream of chicken soup, water, and heavy cream. Whisk to combine, and increase the heat slightly.4 cups low-sodium chicken broth2 (10 ½ ounce) cans cream of chicken soup1 cup water½ cup heavy cream
- Bring the mixture to a low boil, and add the egg noodles. Reduce the heat to a simmer uncovered for 10-12 minutes and cook until the noodles are al dente.12 ounces wide egg noodles
- Add the chicken, and continue to simmer until the chicken is warmed through. Serve with fresh parsley.4 cups leftover chicken