A flavorful caramelized onion and goat cheese tart that combines sweet caramelized onions with sharp goat cheese and fresh thyme.
Kim and I love appetizers featuring savory cheeses like goat cheese and Gouda. Recently, we shared a cranberry brie crostini that combined tart berries with a soft, salty cheese.
Today, we’re sharing Kim’s caramelized onion and goat cheese tart. While it may look complicated, it’s actually quite simple.
All you need are a few kitchen staples and some fresh herbs to create this delicious appetizer.
So, let’s get into the kitchen and start cooking.
How to make a caramelized onion and goat cheese tart?
First, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside for later.
After that, slice your onions into 1/4-1/2 inch slices and place them into a large sauté pan.
Next, place the pan over medium low heat and add the olive oil. Use tongs or a spoon to coat the onions in the oil.
Now, let the mixture cook down for about 30-minutes or until the onions have properly caramelized (limp and golden brown in color).
Once the onions are ready, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. and remove the puff pastry from your freezer.
Then, when the pastry has softened enough to roll out, transfer it to a floured surface.
Afterward, use a rolling pin to roll it out into a 9×12-inch rectangle. Transfer the dough to your lined baking sheet.
Sprinkle the goat cheese and fresh thyme over the dough. Just be sure not to go to the edges of the rectangle.
Layer the caramelized onions over the goat cheese and thyme and fold the edges of the dough towards the center to create a crust.
Last, place the tart into the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry dough is fully cooked and golden brown.
Remove the pan from the oven and serve. That’s it, your caramelized onion and goat cheese tart is done!
Kim and I hope you enjoy the appetizer recipe and wish you all the best 🙂
Recipe Tips and FAQ’s:
- Taste test your goat cheese beforehand. Depending on how intense its flavor is, you may need to add more or cut back on the amount used in the recipe.
- We didn’t use an egg wash on our puff pastry. However, you can use one on the folded edges of the pastry dough to create a glossy, golden brown crust.
- I recommend dusting your rolling pin with a little extra flour. It will keep the dough from sticking to the pin.
Can I freeze an onion tart?
Of course, you can freeze this tart after it has been cooked and cooled. When properly stored in your freezer, it should hold for up to 2-months.
Why aren’t my onions caramelizing?
In my experience, certain varieties of onions will either lack the sugar content or moisture to properly caramelize. If this happens, simply add a little extra oil (or butter) and a pinch of granulated sugar.
Other appetizers you may love:
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 6 Cups White Onions, thinly sliced (about 3 medium onions)
- 4 Ounces Goat Cheese (We used goat cheese crumbles.)
- 2 Teaspoons Fresh Thyme
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment, and set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet over low heat. Add the olive oil and sliced onions. Stir the onions to coat with oil, then allow them to cook for 30 to 40 minutes. Stir occasionally until the onions begin to soften and caramelize. They’ll turn amber in color and sweeten in flavor. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- While the onions cook, preheat the oven to 400°F, and remove the puff pastry from the freezer to thaw. Once the puff pastry has thawed according to the package directions, transfer it to a lightly floured surface. Roll it out to a rectangle about 9 x 12 inches in size. Transfer it to the prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the goat cheese crumbles over the puff pastry leaving about 1 inch around the edges. If using a softened goat cheese, spread it with a spatula. Top the goat cheese with fresh thyme, then add the caramelized onions.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden brown. Remove from the oven, slice into squares, and serve warm.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
*The nutrition and caloric information provided are to be used as a guideline, and are an estimate only.
*Please see the post for answers to frequently asked questions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 Slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 79mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 5g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.