This easy recipe for creamy Baked Goat Cheese is filled with warm and herby flavors and is baked until soft and spreadable. Serve it up as an inviting holiday appetizer or side dish along with crackers, vegetables, fresh bread, or use as a sandwich spread for later!
Tis’ the season for many holiday parties and events. You can put your best foot forward by bringing Holiday Veggie Pizza, Christmas Charcuterie Board, Prosciutto and Melon or a batch of baked goat cheese to a party or serve it at a holiday dinner.
Fresh goat cheese is mixed with cream cheese along with garlic and herbs. Parmesan cheese gets folded into the mixture for even more texture and flavor. Once the cheeses are mixed, top with tomatoes and bake until soft and golden.
This recipe is a decadent appetizer that is easy to make with simple recipe steps and comes together in just under one hour from start to finish!
You can serve it with your favorite crackers, slice up some French bread, or use it as a dip for freshly cut vegetables. And if you have any leftovers, it makes a great spread for sandwiches, wraps, or even as a pizza topping!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This decadent appetizer takes under 1 hour to make from start to finish.
- The recipe steps are simple and easy to follow.
- You can serve baked goat cheese as an appetizer at a party, or use it as a spread for your favorite wraps or sandwiches.
- Change up the flavor by adding your favorite blend of herbs and spices.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Goat Cheese – Tangy and tart goat cheese makes up the base of this easy appetizer and pairs well with the flavors of herbs and salty cheeses.
- Cream Cheese – Binds everything together while still keeping a creamy texture and taste.
- Minced Garlic – Adds a fresh garlic flavor that pairs well with the mixture of Italian herbs and cheeses.
- Italian Herbs – This Italian blend of dried herbs adds a fresh herb taste throughout the goat and cream cheese mixture.
- Salt & Pepper – Helps properly flavor and balance all of the salty, creamy, and tart flavors in the dish.
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese – This baked goat cheese is complemented by salty parmesan cheese which balances the flavor and also helps the texture.
- Olive Oil – Used to help bring all of the flavors together when used on top as a drizzle garnish.
- Cherry Tomatoes – Freshly cut tomatoes are added on top to give this dish a pop of color and a fresh tomato flavor.
How To Make Baked Goat Cheese
- Prepare for baking: Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 1 quart casserole dish or an 8-inch oven safe skillet with olive oil. If using cooking spray, make sure it is non-stick. Set aside.
- Mix the soft cheeses: To a large bowl, add the goat cheese and cream cheese. Use a hand mixer and mix on medium speed until the cheeses are smooth and blended together evenly. The mixture should be fluffy.
- Add the seasonings: To the mixed soft cheeses, add the garlic, Italian herbs, salt, and pepper. Mix them in until fully combined, then fold in the shredded parmesan cheese.
- Garnish and bake: Add the cheese mixture to the prepared baking dish. Drizzle olive oil on top and arrange the cut tomatoes in whatever design you prefer. Add another drizzle of olive oil on top of the tomatoes.
- Bake the goat cheese: Add the baking dish to the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes or until the top starts to turn a light golden color. The tomatoes should also be soft.
- Garnish and serve: Drizzle additional olive oil on top for garnish, then add some fresh basil leaves and serve while it’s warm.
- Before mixing the cheeses, let them come to room temperature on the counter. This will help ensure that they mix together evenly and create a smooth texture.
- Make sure the garlic is finely minced before adding it to the cheese mixture as you want the garlic flavor spread throughout the cheese.
- When it comes to cheeses, fresh is best! For the freshest taste, use shredded parmesan cheese that is taken right off the block.
- A baking dish or small cast iron skillet can be used to bake the goat cheese mixture.
- Purchase bright red fresh cherry tomatoes to add on top of the goat cheese to ensure the natural sweetness complements the rest of the dish.
- Instead of olive oil, drizzle some fresh honey on top after baking. Sweet honey pairs well with the tart and tangy flavor of goat cheese for balance.
- Instead of using dried herbs, try chopping up some fresh herbs to use in the cheese mixture such as rosemary, thyme, oregano, or sage.
- Fold in dried cranberries or your favorite chopped nuts into the cheese mixture for additional texture and flavor.
- Add a kick of spice by sprinkling in your desired amount of red chili flake into the cheese mixture or sprinkle some on top of the final dish.
- If you don’t want to add fresh tomatoes to the top, try adding some red pepper jam or chunky marinara sauce after baking.
Storing and Freezing
Storing: If you have any leftover baked goat cheese, transfer it to an airtight container and store in the fridge for 2-3 days. Warm up in the microwave to use as a dip or let come to room temperature to use as a spread.
Freezing: Soft cheeses do not freeze well as the liquid tends to separate from the curd when thawing. Therefore, freezing baked goat cheese is not recommended.
Baked Goat CheesePrint Pin SaveSaved!
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 16 ounces goat cheese - room temperature
- 8 ounces block-style cream cheese - room temperature
- 3 cloves garlic - finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs - *See Note
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese - shredded off the block
- 2 tablespoons olive oil - plus more for drizzling
- 1 ½ cup cherry tomatoes - halved
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and spray a 1-quart casserole dish or an 8-inch oven safe skillet with non-stick olive oil spray. Set aside.
- Add the goat cheese and cream cheese to a large bowl, and use a hand mixer to cream together until fluffy.16 ounces goat cheese8 ounces block-style cream cheese
- Add the garlic, Italian herbs, salt and pepper and beat again until thoroughly combined.3 cloves garlic1 teaspoon Italian herbs½ teaspoon kosher salt½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Stir in the parmesan cheese, then add the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Spread it out into an even layer.1 cup Parmesan cheese
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the top, then add the tomatoes in whatever design that you prefer.2 tablespoons olive oil1 ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over the tomatoes, and bake for 35-40 minutes or until it starts to turn a light golden color and the tomatoes are soft.
- Lightly drizzle more olive oil on top, garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve with toasted baguette slices if desired.
- See post for storage options.