Cauliflower Steaks are tender, tangy, and a touch spicy! Made in under half an hour with savory garlic and smoky paprika, a splash of citrus, and drizzled with fresh crema, these “steaks” are great as a side dish or as the main course.
Cauliflower is extremely versatile. You can roast it, saute it, turn it into cauliflower mashed “potatoes,” make healthy “chicken” wings with it, use it as a pizza crust, etc. The list goes on and on and this recipe is another unique way to indulge in this superfood!
Cauliflower Steaks are thickly sliced cauliflower, seasoned to perfection, then baked. You can eat them as a side dish or use it as the main course.
They are extremely satisfying and a delicious way to up your veggie intake. The olive oil rub helps the cauliflower to get a nice and crispy outside in the oven while still coming out tender on the inside.
Cauliflower steaks can be served with your favorite sauce, over fresh greens, over a bed of rice, topped with cheese, or even with a side of fresh salmon. The presentation is as versatile as the cauliflower itself!
How To Make Cauliflower Steaks
- Preheat your oven to 450°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the cauliflower onto a cutting board, crown side down. Cut off any green ends that are not connected to the stalk.
- Cut the head into 3-4 (depending on the size of your cauliflower) ½ inch thick slices. Place the slices on the baking sheet and save an additional cauliflower for another dish or snack.
- Drizzle the cauliflower with olive oil and rub the minced garlic into the steaks. Drizzle with the lemon juice.
- Sprinkle the top of each slice of cauliflower with the parsley, paprika, salt, and pepper. Bake for 6 minutes. Rotate the slices, season the bottom, and bake for another 6 minutes or until the cauliflower has reached your desired tenderness.
- Serve with fresh parsley and a drizzle of fresh crema and enjoy!
Tips and Variations:
- The hardest part of this recipe is cutting the cauliflower so that it actually stays together in a slab and doesn’t fall apart into florets. You may want to use two heads of cauliflower to ensure you’re able to get enough slices. You can always use the excess for another recipe or eat it raw with your favorite dip for an afternoon snack!
- If you want to try a cheesy version, when you rotate the cauliflower steaks and bake the second time, add your cheese then. That’ll be just enough time to allow the cheese to melt and get nice and bubbly without burning.
- Feel free to change up the seasonings to create your own flavor profile! Use an Italian blend and serve over pasta or with a side of chicken parm. Try a taco seasoning, a BBQ rub, or lemon pepper. Cauliflower takes well to any type of seasoning because it’s so basic to start so get experimental!
- When cutting the steaks use a sharp knife. This helps create a clean cut and keeps it from falling apart.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: Store leftover cauliflower steaks in the fridge in an airtight container for 3 days.
Freezer: You can freeze cauliflower steaks in a freezer safe container for 3 months.
Reheating: Warm in the microwave until heated through.
- 1 head of cauliflower, cleaned
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450°F, and line a large baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place the head of the cauliflower crown side down onto a cutting board then cut off the green ends that aren’t connected to the stalk.
- Cut the cauliflower into 3 to 4 (½-inch) thick slices then place the slices onto the prepared baking sheet. (Save the extra cauliflower to cook for another dish if desired.)
- Rub the garlic into the cauliflower then drizzle with the olive oil and lemon juice.
- Sprinkle the parsley, paprika, salt and pepper on top then bake for 6 minutes. Rotate the pan, and bake for another 6 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender to your liking.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 cauliflower steak. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
*Photos courtesy of Karla Rae Photography.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 steak
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 287mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.