Our Cucumber Salad recipe is light, crisp, and perfect for a Summertime side dish. It’s tossed in a soy ginger dressing that adds a ton of flavor and only takes about 10 minutes to prepare.
A cucumber salad might just be the easiest, lightest, and fastest Summer side dish ever! It pairs perfectly with so many dishes, too. We love it with Greek yogurt marinated chicken, oven baked Mahi Mahi, and baked cod with Panko.
Cucumber Salad Recipe:
This cucumber salad is a little different than the traditional, creamy cucumber salad with a mayonnaise or sour cream dressing. It’s Asian-inspired and has a soy ginger dressing that’s light and vibrant. The dressing tastes fresh and pairs perfectly with the fresh, crisp cucumbers. It also makes this salad dairy-free!
Our cucumber salad is meant to be a side dish, but it’s so delicious that it can easily be enjoyed as a complete meal. I mean, that would be a lot of cucumbers, but it’s that good! I love to top it with plenty of freshly chopped scallions, and a good sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds for some crunch. It’s pretty much perfect!
Cucumber Salad Tips and Variations:
- Cucumbers: English cucumbers are the best variety for this recipe, but regular cucumbers can also be used. You’ll want to use a spoon to scoop the seeds out of the center of the regular cucumbers if you use that variety. Otherwise, the cucumber salad can have a soggy texture.
- Soy Sauce: I love a low-sodium soy sauce in this recipe, but regular soy sauce can be used if that’s what you have handy. Just keep in mind that the taste may be slightly salty with regular soy sauce. If you need a substitute for soy sauce, try coconut aminos. They’re a great substitute and taste similar to soy sauce.
- Seasonings: The garlic paste and ginger paste can be substituted with equal amounts of finely minced garlic and ginger. A microplane is the best way to get the garlic and ginger finely minced.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar balances out the savory flavors nicely, but it can be reduced or omitted if you’d rather not use it. Honey or agave nectar is also a great substitute.
Do you need to peel cucumbers before making a salad?
If you use English cucumbers, they have a thin enough skin that you shouldn’t need to peel them. If you use regular cucumbers, you may want to peel those since their skins are thicker and more waxy.
Room Temperature: This cucumber salad can be served chilled or at room temperature but should not be stored at room temperature.
Refrigerator: Store this salad in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days. For best flavor, allow it to set in the refrigerator for an hour before serving.
Freezer: We do not recommend freezing this salad.
Don’t forget to check out our Asian Cucumber Salad web story!
- ½ cup of low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of white sugar
- 2 teaspoons of rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of garlic paste or finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of ginger paste or finely minced ginger
- 2 large English cucumbers, sliced to about 1/4-inch thick
- 5 ounces of green onions, chopped (about ½ cup once chopped)
- Optional: toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- In a medium bowl, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, vinegar, garlic paste and ginger paste.
- Place the cucumbers in a large bowl then pour the dressing over top. Add the green onions and toss to combine.
- Serve with toasted sesame seeds if desired. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of ½ cup of cucumber salad. Actual calories will vary.
*The total amount of cucumber salad varies between 4 to 5 cups depending on the size of the cucumbers.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: .5 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 81Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 552mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.