Mushroom Shrimp Pasta is made with fresh shrimp, earthy mushrooms, and a creamy sauce that’s decadently loaded with parmesan and garlic. This mouthwatering pasta only takes about 45 minutes to make with prep and cook time!
Mushroom Shrimp Pasta
Mushroom Shrimp Pasta may seem like a dish only found in a fancy restaurant, but with this simple recipe you can make it right in the comfort of your own kitchen. A splash of white wine, nutmeg, and freshly grated parmesan are the details that really make the flavors in this dish shine.
Sautéed shrimp and mushrooms smothered in a decadent cream sauce pair so well! This is the perfect option for a date night dinner at home or for showing off to family and friends at an intimate dinner party. With only 15 minutes of prep time and 30 for cooking, this unforgettable meal comes together in just a few simple steps!
How To Make Mushroom Shrimp Pasta
- Boil six cups of water over high heat and salt it well before adding in the linguine pasta. Cook according to the instructions on the package, about 10 minutes.
- Reserve ½ cup of the pasta water to use later for the sauce. Drain the remaining water from the pasta and set aside.
- Add the olive oil, shrimp, salt, pepper, oregano, and nutmeg to a large skillet over medium heat and cook until the shrimp has started to curl and turn pink.
- Remove the shrimp from the pan. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 3 minutes or until the mushrooms start to shrink.
- Pour in the white wine (or chicken broth if substituting) and add the garlic. Stir and cook until the wine (or broth) has reduced completely, about 8 minutes.
- Pour in the heavy cream and pasta water, stir, and cook for about 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens. For a thicker sauce, add more cream. For a thinner sauce, add more pasta water.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese then add the shrimp back to the pan along with the cooked pasta and toss until all the pasta is coated in the sauce.
- Stir in the fresh basil and serve with additional basil as a garnish. Serve and enjoy your restaurant quality meal!
Tips and Variations
- For a touch of spice, add in crushed red pepper flakes or creole seasoning.
- Get creative with your pasta. This recipe calls for linguine, but try fettuccine or even bowtie for a fun change!
- Veggies are a great add-in. Broccoli or chopped asparagus gives the pasta a vibrant touch of green.
- This recipe uses parmesan, but you could also add in mozzarella or romano to vary the flavors.
- A splash of freshly squeezed lemon juice gives a burst of citrus to the flavor profile and compliments both the shrimp and the mushrooms.
Storage and Reheating
Refrigerator: This pasta dish can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheating: This can be reheated in the microwave or oven. Try adding in a tablespoon of milk or cream to keep the pasta moist while it reheats.
- 12 ounces linguine, or similar style long pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms, cleaned and dried
- 1 cup white wine or low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup pasta water
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup basil, julienned
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil, and cook the pasta per package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water, drain, and set aside.
- Add the olive oil, shrimp, salt, pepper, oregano and nutmeg to a large skillet over medium heat, and cook until the shrimp has started to curl and turn pink, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp from the pan, then add the mushrooms. Cook for about 3 minutes or until the mushrooms begin to shrink.
- Pour in the wine or chicken broth and the garlic, and cook until the liquid has reduced completely, about 8 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and pasta water, and cook for about 5 minutes or until it thickens.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese, then add the shrimp back to the pan along with the cooked pasta. Toss until all the pasta is coated in the sauce. Stir in the fresh basil, and serve with additional basil for garnish.
- See post for storage recommendations.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 ⅓ cup of pasta. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
*Photos by Karla Rae photography.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1.33 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 471Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 212mgSodium: 1071mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 28g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.