Blueberry Compote is the perfect topping to complete any breakfast, dessert, or snack! Sweet blueberries with a touch of tangy lemon compliment each other beautifully. Made with only four ingredients and ready in under 20 minutes, you’ll want to drizzle this delicious sauce on everything!
Blueberry Compote is similar to jam in it’s consistency, but it’s not quite as thick and doesn’t have the properties of a preserve. However, like jam, blueberries and lemon juice have natural pectin in them which is what congeals everything together when cooking.
This compote doesn’t have as much sugar as most jams and jellies either. While it may not last as long as your favorite jams, this Blueberry Compote is so good on everything you won’t be able to keep it in the house for long anyway!
We love to use this compote on pancakes, crepes, and waffles at breakfast. It’s also a delicious topping for yogurt, oatmeal, or even spread on a bagel. But don’t let the breakfast options limit you to just the morning – use this sweet and tart compote on top of cottage cheese, frozen yogurt, ice cream! The list of possibilities could go on and on, it’s that addicting.
How to Make Blueberry Compote
- Begin by pouring water and sugar into a medium saucepan, then stir to combine. Heat over low-medium heat and add 1 ½ cups of fresh blueberries.
- Continue to stir over heat until the blueberries begin to pop and the liquid thickens, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining blueberries and lemon juice.
- Serve the blueberry compote immediately on pancakes, English muffins, bagels, ice cream, yogurt, cottage cheese, and anything else that could benefit from this sticky sweet concoction. Enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- You can make this compote thicker by removing the blueberries from the heat a little over halfway into the cooking process to let the liquid reduce, then add the berries back to the pan. This will give you an almost pie filling like consistency.
- The opposite is true as well, to make a thinner more sauce like compote, cook the entire blueberry and liquid mixture together for the full amount of cook time. This will result in a compote that is pourable.
- You can use fresh or frozen blueberries if fresh berries aren’t available in your area! Increase the cook time if you are using frozen berries.
- This compote recipe can also be made with other fruits! Make seasonal versions or use your favorites such as blackberry, raspberry, mango, peach, strawberry, etc.
Storage and Reheating
Refrigerator: Store your blueberry compote in a jar in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Freezer: You can also freeze this decadent compote! Store in an airtight container in your freezer for up to three months. Thaw before using. If you want individual portions to use for snacks like in yogurt or on a morning bagel, divide the compote before freezing into smaller containers for single servings. Plus it takes less time to defrost!
Reheating: Simply spoon onto desired dish and reheat in microwave. Let the compote defrost before reheating. If wanting to heat the entire batch, we suggest reheating on the stove until warmed through.
Looking For More Sweet Sauce and Topping Options? Check Out These Favorites:
- Blueberry Curd
- Strawberries and Mascarpone Whipped Cream
- Mango Puree
- Cinnamon Butter
- Crumble Topping (with Oats)
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pour water and sugar into a medium saucepan, and stir to combine. Heat over low-medium heat, and add 1 ½ cups of blueberries.
- Continue to stir until the blueberries begin to pop and the liquid thickens, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining blueberries and lemon juice.
- Serve the blueberry compote immediately on pancakes, English muffins, or bagels.
- See post for storage options.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of ¼ cup of compote. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 85Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 18gProtein: 1g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.