Use up that sourdough discard to make a batch of these delicious Sourdough Brownies! Warm, thick, and fudgy, these brownies are a treat for any chocolate lover. Crispy on the outside, gooey in the center, made with milk chocolate and dark chocolate as well as white and brown sugars to really create depth and flavor. Serve these up with a big bowl of vanilla ice cream or a tall glass of milk for the ultimate after dinner treat!
Pair this decadent dessert with a bowl of our homemade Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe. Or try our Dark Chocolate Coffee for a double chocolate combination. Get really experimental and make our Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches but instead of the cookie sandwich, what if the ice cream was served between a sliced brownie?
We’re no stranger to sourdough recipes around here. Among the many recipes we have on the blog we also have a step by step guide on How to Make Sourdough Starter to get you started! Once you have the starter (or sourdough discard) these brownies are a cinch!
We love the use of milk and dark chocolate which really adds a rich flavor to these brownies. The sourdough really helps to make this dessert crispy on the outside and perfectly gooey on the inside!
How To Make Sourdough Brownies
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9 baking pan (or your favorite brownie pan) with parchment paper then lightly grease the parchment paper as well to ensure the brownies don’t stick. Set aside.
- Combine the unsalted butter and both the milk and dark chocolate chips in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat and stir continuously until the chocolate has fully melted and is smooth in texture. Set aside to cool slightly.
- As the chocolate mixture is cooling, use a larger mixing bowl and electric hand mixer (or stand mixer) to beat the eggs, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until fully incorporated.
- Add in the sourdough starter and beat once more. Pour in the chocolate mixture and mix again until smooth and fully combined.
- In another smaller mixing bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, and sea salt.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until just combined, careful not to overmix your batter.
- Pour the batter into the pan, sprinkle with additional sea salt, and bake for 25-35 minutes. The edges should be slightly crispy and the middle is still slightly gooey.
- Let the brownies cool before cutting into squares. Serve with a tall glass of milk or a big scoop of vanilla ice cream drizzled with salted caramel. Enjoy!
Tips and Variations:
- Try adding chopped walnuts for an added crunch.
- For crispier brownies, bake for 35 minutes. Crispy, cake-like brownies are done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- You can double this recipe just increase the bake time by about 5 minutes or so and use a 9×13 inch dish.
- Add a swirl of caramel through the center for an extra indulgent treat.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: You can store leftover sourdough brownies in an airtight container on the counter for 5 days.
Freezing: Let these sourdough brownies cool completely. Cut into individual servings for easy dessert access. Store in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
Reheating: If you’d like to reheat leftover brownies, pop a serving in the microwave for about 15 seconds or until warmed through.
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup milk chocolate chips
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup unfed sourdough starter (discard)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon maldon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and line a 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper. Then, lightly grease the parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter and chocolate chips. Stir on low heat until fully melted and smooth. Once smooth, set aside to cool slightly.
- While the chocolate mixture cools, combine the eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric hand mixer (or a stand mixer), beat the eggs, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until fully incorporated.
- Pour in the sourdough starter and beat until fully incorporated. Now add in the chocolate mixture and mix until smooth.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, and sea salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until just combined, making sure to not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, then sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Bake for 25-35 minutes until the edges are slightly crispy and the middle is slightly gooey.
- Allow the brownies to cool, cut and serve! Enjoy with a glass of milk or even with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
- See post for storage options.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 brownie. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
*Photos courtesy of E.N.S. Photography.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 brownie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 272Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 156mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 26gProtein: 4g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.
Don’t forget to check out our Sourdough Brownies (Using Discard) web story!