Christmas Brownies are the perfect festive treat! These fudgy, homemade brownies are made in a muffin pan for easy baking. Dust them with powdered sugar and holiday sprinkles for a delightful Christmas dessert!
A simple glass of cold milk is all you need to serve with these delicious Christmas brownies! For a plate of sweet treats the whole family will love, bake them alongside Gingerbread Cookies, Chocolate Filled Pastries, and Hot Chocolate Cupcakes.
Winter Brownie Recipe
Christmas brownies are the perfect sweet dessert to enjoy during the festive holiday season. This recipe is family-friendly, kid-approved, and sure to be a hit at holiday parties or any special occasion.
Each brownie is rich and fudgy with a gooey melted milk chocolate truffle center then topped with red and green holiday sprinkles. For the final touch, dust each one with powdered sugar for the perfect sweet treat!
Tips for The Best Christmas Brownies:
- These holiday brownies taste best when they’re freshly baked. They will be warm, gooey, and delicious!
- Make sure to add the chocolate truffles while the brownies are still hot. Once they cool completely, it's difficult to add the truffles.
- It's important to get the brownie batter smooth, but don't overmix. Otherwise, the brownies will turn out dense and tough which makes for an unappealing dessert.
- Don't forget that baking times may vary slightly. Elevation, pan variations, ranges, and even weather may affect the bake time by a few minutes.
- Winter brownies always look festive with red and green sprinkles on top. Feel free to leave off the sprinkles and add colorful sanding sugar if desired.
- Use your favorite flavor of truffles. We love mint chocolate cookie truffles for this recipe, but peppermint, caramel, and hazelnut would also taste great.
- Can't find Christmas sprinkles? Use crushed peppermint candies instead.
How to store Christmas brownies:
Room Temperature: Christmas brownies are best stored at room temperature in an airtight container. They will last for 3 to 4 days.
Reheating: These brownies reheat well in the microwave for about 10 to 15 seconds or in the oven at 300°F for 5 to 7 minutes.
Can you freeze holiday brownies?
Yes! Our Christmas brownie recipe freezes well for up to two months. To freeze, allow the brownies to cool completely, then place them in an airtight container or freezer bag.
Be sure to thaw them in the refrigerator or at room temperature before serving. The truffle centers may not be as gooey and melty, but they'll still be delicious!
What makes a brownie fudgy vs cakey?
Creating a fudgy brownie requires a higher ratio of fats to flour. This fudgier brownie recipe has more fat than flour. In most cases, you get this by incorporating extra butter or chocolate in your recipe. A cakey brownie recipe however requires more flour than fat.
Can you make Christmas brownies from a box mix?
Yes, you can make festive Christmas brownies from a brownie mix! Box mixes are a great way to save time and ensure consistently delicious desserts.
All you need to do is preheat your oven to the temperature indicated on the box, prepare the batter according to the instructions, and pour it into a greased muffin pan. Once your brownies finish baking and are hot from the oven, add the truffles for an extra chocolatey indulgence.
Then dust them with powdered sugar and sprinkle red and green holiday sprinkles for a festive touch. Making Christmas brownies from a brownie mix is also a great alternative if you don’t have all of the ingredients necessary for making them from scratch.
Depending on the type of mix you buy, it’s often quicker than baking from scratch since you don’t have to measure out each ingredient separately making prep time minimal.
What are some other filling ideas for these brownies?
Some other popular filling ideas include peppermint frosting, caramel sauce, silky chocolate ganache, chocolate fudge, or even mini M&M candy. You could also try different variations of the classic brownie recipe by adding nuts, marshmallows, white chocolate chips, or a layer of fudge frosting.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- ¾ cup(s) unsalted butter
- ¾ cup(s) milk chocolate chips
- ¾ cup(s) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup(s) heavy cream
- ¾ cup(s) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup(s) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 12 Mint Cookie Milk Chocolate Truffles, (We used Lindt brand.)
- Christmas themed sprinkles, optional for garnish
- Powdered sugar, optional for garnish
- Unwrap 12 truffles and place them in a bowl for later.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and grease two 6-cavity muffin pans or one 12 cavity muffin pan. Set aside.
- Place the chocolate chips and butter in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 15 to 20 second at a time, stirring in between intervals, until the ingredients are melted and smooth.¾ cup(s) unsalted butter¾ cup(s) milk chocolate chips
- Add the eggs and sugar, and mix until fully combined.¾ cup(s) granulated sugar2 large eggs
- Pour in the heavy cream, and mix just until combined. Then sift the cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking soda into the chocolate mixture. Mix until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated. Be sure not to overmix.¼ cup(s) heavy cream¾ cup(s) all-purpose flour¾ cup(s) unsweetened cocoa powder½ teaspoon(s) baking soda½ teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- Bake the brownies for 15 to 18 minutes, remove from the oven, then immediately press a truffle into the center of each brownie.12 Mint Cookie Milk Chocolate Truffles
- Allow the brownies to cool for 10 to 15 minutes then sprinkle with your choice of Christmas themed sprinkles.
- When ready to serve, coat with a light dusting of powdered sugar and extra sprinkles. Enjoy the brownies slightly warm or at room temperature.
- See post for tips, FAQs, and storage options.