Cranberry Chicken Salad is easy to make in just 10 minutes and features simple and delicious ingredients! Rotisserie chicken, dijon mustard, toasted walnuts, cranberries and more mix together to create a creamy, filling, and flavorful chicken salad. Enjoy it for lunch or as an easy weeknight dinner!
There’s nothing better than chicken salad! Whether you choose to just dig in with a fork or slap it between some bread, you should always treat yourself to this easy lunch.
Cranberries are a great addition, but we also love some classic Chicken Salad as well!
Chicken Salad with Cranberries
We are pretty head over heels in love with this easy Cranberry Chicken Salad! It’s a quick and easy recipe that’s ideal for lunch or as a light weeknight dinner.
Rotisserie chicken is the star of the show and it’s complemented beautifully by sweet dried cranberries, crunchy toasted walnuts, crisp celery, red onions and more!
What gives this chicken salad it's signature creamy consistency is the simple combination of mayo and dijon mustard. It’s a flavorful and creamy easy recipe that always hits the spot!
How to Make Cranberry Chicken Salad
Scroll to the recipe card below for the ingredient amounts and full instructions.
This quick and easy chicken salad with cranberries recipe comes together in under 10 minutes!
- Toast the walnuts in a pan over low heat for about 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine the mayo, dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, combine the chicken, cranberries, celery, walnuts, and onions.
- Combine the chicken salad with the dressing.
- Serve immediately or store for later.
Tips and Variations
- You don’t have to toast your walnuts, but it adds so much more flavor when you do! Just keep in mind that as soon as you can start smelling a woody aroma, the walnuts are toasted and should be removed from the heat.
- If you plan on serving this on bread or buns, make sure to store the chicken salad separately from the bread! You don’t want the creamy mixture to soak through the bread and make it soggy.
- Have any leftover turkey from Thanksgiving? Swap out the chicken for that turkey! This is a great recipe to use around the holiday season because of those cranberries.
Storage: In an airtight container in the fridge, any leftovers you have of this cranberry walnut chicken salad will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
Freezing: We don’t recommend freezing this creamy Cranberry Chicken Salad. It doesn’t thaw very well from frozen.
Should I shred or cube the chicken?
Either way works! You can even prepare two chicken breasts yourself if you’d like.
We prefer buying an already cooked rotisserie chicken from the store to save a little time. Shred or cube it to your liking.
Can I substitute the dijon mustard with plain yellow mustard?
We don’t recommend it. Dijon mustard lends a signature uniquely sweet flavor that really enhances the sweetness of the cranberries perfectly.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- ⅓ cup walnuts, chopped
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoon(s) Dijon mustard
- 3 teaspoon(s) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
- 3 cups chicken, cooked (cubed or shredded)
- ½ cup cranberries, dried
- ⅓ cup celery, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- Toast the walnuts in a small pan over low heat for 3-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.⅓ cup walnuts
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.⅔ cup mayonnaise3 teaspoon(s) Dijon mustard3 teaspoon(s) lemon juice¼ teaspoon(s) ground black pepper½ teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- In a separate bowl, combine the chicken, cranberries, celery, walnuts, and onion. Add the dressing, and stir to combine.3 cups chicken½ cup cranberries⅓ cup celery¼ cup red onion
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve as-is, on croissants, on sliders, in a wrap, or as a sandwich.
- See post for tips and storage options.