Our Sausage and Potatoes Skillet recipe is an easy recipe that’s packed with flavor and is a cinch to prepare. It’s made with creamy, baby gold potatoes, chicken apple sausage, bell peppers, onion, and Italian seasonings.
Breakfast and brunch don’t have to be complicated. We love to make them simple with lots of flavor. A few of our favorites are this easy breakfast scramble, steel cut oats with blueberries, and sourdough waffles.
Sausage and Potatoes Skillet Recipe:
One of things I love to do on the weekends is cook a meal the entire family will love. We all have our favorites, but one-dish meals are something we all enjoy. They’re packed with a protein and tons of veggies, so it’s a great way to start the day.
Our sausage and potatoes skillet recipe is so good and so easy to make. It starts with baby gold potatoes that are cooked until they’re crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. Add some chicken apple sausage and fresh veggies, and you’ve got a full meal.
We like to serve this sausage and potatoes skillet recipe immediately with fresh fruit. There’s enough for a large crowd or leftovers for later.
How to Make Sausage and Potatoes Skillet:
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Add the potatoes, and cook until they’re browned and fork tender, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Push the potatoes to one side, then add the oil and sausage.
- Cook for 5 to 7 minutes until the sausage begins to brown.
- Add the onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Serve hot!
Sausage and Potatoes Skillet Tips and Variations:
- Potatoes: I love using small, baby gold potatoes for this recipe. They cook fairly quickly, are crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside, and have a great flavor. You can always parboil the potatoes before adding them to the skillet. That will cut down on some of the skillet cooking time. If there’s a different variety of potatoes you love, swap the yellow potatoes for those.
- Sausage: I love chicken apple sausage for this recipe. Smoked sausage, kielbasa, turkey sausage, or Italian sausage would all work great in place of the chicken sausage.
- Vegetables: Bell peppers and onions are staples in our house, and they add a great flavor to this dish. If you have other veggies on hand, use those. It’s important to use your favorite!
- Seasonings: I keep it simple with basic pantry staple seasonings like Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Any of these can be omitted or adjusted as needed. If there are other seasonings you love, toss those in, too!
- Skillet: You’ll need a large skillet for this recipe; a skillet at least 12-inches in diameter or larger will work well.
Room Temperature: Sausage and potatoes skillet should be served hot/warm, but needs to be refrigerated within 2 hours after it’s cooked.
Refrigerator: Store leftover sausage and potatoes in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freezer: We do not recommend freezing the cooked sausage and potatoes.
Other one-pot recipes you may enjoy:
- One-Pot Mushroom Pesto Pasta
- One Pan Sausage and Veggies
- Garlic Parmesan Pasta
- Easy Bow Tie Ham and Peas Pasta
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1.5 Pounds Baby Gold Potatoes, cut into ½-inch thick cubes
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado or Olive Oil
- 12 Ounces Sausage Links, cut into ½-inch thick pieces (We used chicken apple sausage.)
- ½ Cup White Onion, diced
- ½ Cup Green Bell Pepper, diced
- ½ Cup Red Bell Pepper, diced
- ½ Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Onion Powder
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter, and allow it to melt. Once the butter melts, add the potatoes in an even layer. Allow them to brown on one side, the flip so the opposite side is able to brown. Continue to cook the potatoes until brown, crispy, and fork tender, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Push the potatoes to one side of the pan, and add the the oil and sausage. Cook the sausage until lightly browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Serve hot with fresh fruit. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 cup of sausage potato skillet. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 Cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 363Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 524mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.