Our sausage and peppers skillet is a one-pot meal featuring whole peppers and garlic perfectly cooked alongside flavorful Italian sausage.
Sometimes, there are nights when even we don’t feel like cooking. However, that’s not an excuse to run out and pickup fast food. On nights like that, we usually try to make something quick using as little dishes as possible while still cooking with whole ingredients.
Many times that includes chicken, like our Greek chicken pasta salad or Chicken Pot Pie. Other times, it’s something totally different. Today, we’re going to share one of those go-to dinners with you. It’s our sausage and peppers skillet.
This recipe uses whole Italian sausages to flavor the dish along with fresh garlic, onions, and colorful peppers. Our rosemary Parmesan bread goes great with this meal. It only takes about 30 minutes to cook and best of all, only uses one pan. The hardest part is dicing and slicing the vegetables.
How to make sausage and peppers?
- Heat a 12-inch cast iron skillet over low to medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Then, add the Italian sausage links and let them cook for 5-6 minutes on each side. Once the casings are browned, remove them and set them aside.
- Add the peppers and onions and cook for 3-5 minutes. When they start to soften, toss in the garlic.
- Stir the ingredients and let everything cook for another 30 seconds. Now, add the diced tomatoes, Italian seasonings, and salt and pepper.
- Afterward, stir the ingredients again and then place the sausage links back into the skillet.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the sausage and peppers simmer in the skillet for 10-15 minutes or until the sausages are completely done.
- That’s it, your Italian sausage and peppers skillet recipe is done. We hope you enjoy the meal and wish you all the best!
What goes with sausage and peppers?
You can serve them over a bed of rice, toss them with pasta noodles like spaghetti or rigatoni, serve them in buns like sandwich or as-is.
Sausage and Peppers Skillet RecipePrint Pin SaveSaved!
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 2 Tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 5 Italian Sausages any variety
- 1 Green Bell Pepper thinly sliced
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper thinly sliced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper thinly sliced
- 1 Medium White Onion thinly sliced
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced or pressed
- 15 Ounces Diced Tomatoes undrained
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasonings
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over low-medium heat. After the skillet gets hot, add the cooking oil and sausages. Cook the sausage for 5 to 6 minutes on each side until the casing is nicely browned. Remove the sausages to a waiting plate.
- Add the bell pepper and onion to the same pan used to cook the sausages. Cook over low heat until they begin to soften (about 3 to 5 minutes), then add the garlic. Cook an additional 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Then add the sausage back to the pan. Simmer over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes to ensure the sausages are thoroughly cooked. Serve hot in buns or slice the sausage into pieces and serve over pasta or rice.