Red Wine Vinaigrette is an easy and delicious salad dressing that comes together in about 5 minutes and adds tons of flavor to your favorite salad or dish.
Red wine vinaigrette is a versatile salad dressing recipe that goes well on so many different salads not to mention a variety of other dishes. Our recipe only has a few ingredients, many of which you probably already have in the pantry.
This vinaigrette only takes a few minutes to whip up, and it stores well for several days at room temperature. We keep some in a jar on the countertop and add it salads as needed.
How to make red wine vinaigrette:
- Place the olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, dried oregano, salt, and pepper into a bowl or jar. (A mason jar with a lid is a great option here, because you can shake the dressing to combine everything.)
- Use a whisk to combine the ingredients.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to use.
- The red wine vinaigrette stays good about 7 days.
What’s the best olive oil for red wine vinaigrette?
We use a robust or everyday extra virgin olive oil. It’s a brand of olive oil that’s darker green in color. That, along with the Dijon mustard, gives our dressing it’s greenish-yellow color. The olive oil also has more pronounced flavor than some other brands. If you prefer a lighter flavored olive oil, try using a light tasting variety or go with your favorite.
Can you use red wine in place of red wine vinegar?
No, red wine cannot be used in place of red wine vinegar. Those are not comparable ingredients and will not yield the same results.
Can you use balsamic vinegar in place of red wine vinegar?
Yes, you can, but then you’re making a balsamic dressing instead of a red wine vinaigrette. They’re different recipes with different flavor profiles. The substitution can certainly be made, but it will change the intended outcome of the recipe.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoon(s) oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon(s) Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place all ingredients in a bowl or jar with a lid. Whisk or shake to combine.½ cup olive oil¼ cup red wine vinegar1 ½ teaspoon(s) oregano1 teaspoon(s) Dijon mustardSalt and pepper
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days.