Puff Pastry Cheese Straws are easy to make appetizers that everyone at the party will love! Store-bought puff pastry dough is all dressed up with parmesan cheese and a medley of mouthwatering seasonings. Dip them in marinara and enjoy every perfect bite!
Puff Pastry Cheese Straws
When a recipe calls for puff pastry dough, you just know it’s going to be good! This easy appetizer recipe has everything you love and none of the frills you don’t.
Store-bought puff pastry dough is brushed with a little egg wash then sprinkled with a deliciously seasoned parmesan mixture to make the best puff pastry cheese straws.
It’s baked to soft, fluffy perfection and served with marinara sauce… Are you drooling?!
How to Make Puff Pastry Cheese Straws
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Make the egg wash by whisking together the egg and water in a bowl.
- Roll the puff pastry into a rectangle on a floured surface.
- Combine the parmesan cheese with the seasonings.
- Brush the dough with egg wash.
- Sprinkle the parmesan mixture onto the lower half of the pastry.
- Fold the puff pastry in half. Roll the dough with a rolling pin to seal it shut.
- Cut strips from the dough.
- Twist the strips and place them on the baking sheet. Use egg wash to secure the edges to the pan.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
Tips for the Best Puff Pastry Cheese Straws
- Use parmesan cheese that’s been freshly grated off of the block. It’s not just for the best flavor – freshly grated parmesan melts so much better than the bagged stuff.
- Remember to let the puff pastry dough thaw prior to using it! Nothing’s more annoying than preparing to cook, only to realize you forgot to let the dough thaw.
- Using a little egg wash to secure the edges of the dough to the baking sheet is a great way to ensure the straws keep their shape while baking.
You can keep any leftover cheese straws you have in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
How long does puff pastry dough need to thaw?
Since each brand of puff pastry is slightly different, check the package for instructions on how to thaw the brand you purchase. Usually it’s between 20 to 40 minutes.
What other spices can I add?
Craving a little heat? Add a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes to your parmesan mixture! You can also create an herbaceous flavor with some dried parsley or oregano.
Puff Pastry Cheese StrawsPrint Pin SaveSaved!
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 13.2 ounces puff pastry dough 1 package thawed according to package directions
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated off the block
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F, and line two large baking pans with parchment paper.
- Whisk the egg and water together in a small bowl. Set aside.1 large egg2 tablespoons water
- Lightly dust a countertop or cutting board with flour. Roll the puff pastry out into a 12×16-inch rectangle.1 to 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour13.2 ounces puff pastry dough
- Combine the parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and salt together in a small bowl.½ cup parmesan cheese½ teaspoon garlic powder½ teaspoon onion powder¼ teaspoon kosher salt¼ teaspoon paprika
- Use a pastry brush to apply the egg wash to the entire puff pastry then sprinkle the parmesan mix onto the lower half of the pastry.
- Fold the top half of the puff pastry, without the parmesan cheese mixture, over on top of the half with parmesan cheese mixture. The cheese mixture should now be closed inside. Use a rolling pin to gently roll over it a couple of times to ensure it seals shut.
- Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife cut ¼-inch thick, vertical strips from the dough.
- One at a time, twist the strips as many times as you like then place them on the prepared baking pan. Dip your finger into the leftover egg wash and gently press the ends down onto the pan. (This will help the straws keep their shape while baking.) Repeat the baking process with the remaining cheese straws.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until light, golden and crispy.
- Serve with marinara sauce and freshly minced parsley if desired.
- See post for tips, FAQs, and storage options.