Herb and Garlic Cream Cheese is a simple recipe that’s full of flavor. Plain cream cheese is mixed with garlic and herbs to make a tasty topping for bagels or a spread for sandwiches.
Head into most bagel shops, and you’ll find an variety of flavored cream cheese options. Many of those flavors are also available at big chain supermarkets.
Over the last couple of years, we’ve been making our own flavored cream cheese at home. I love using it on bagels, but John prefers to spread it onto baguette slices and top it with other ingredients like we did with our cream cheese bruschetta.
The great thing is the flavors are endless as well as the uses. This recipe is, incredibly easy, and you can change up the herbs to match your tastes.
How to make herb and garlic cream cheese:
Start by removing the cream cheese and butter from the refrigerator about an hour before starting the recipe. They both need plenty of time to soften, so the herb and garlic cream cheese will be nice and smooth.
Once the cream cheese and butter have softened, place them in a medium bowl with the garlic, parsley, oregano, dill, thyme, basil, salt, and pepper. Use a hand mixer to combine the ingredients until smooth and creamy.
Place the cream cheese in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve. The flavors will meld together as the cream cheese sets.
The cream cheese spread is good for about 4 to 5 days when kept refrigerated.
What goes good with herb and garlic cream cheese?
- Turkey Avocado Club.
- Macaroni and Cheese.
- Fresh Vegetables.
Can you use tub cream cheese in place of brick-style cream cheese?
Either style of cream cheese will work. For the photos and video, I used tub cream cheese but have used brick-style in the past.
Tips and Variations for Herb and Garlic Cream Cheese:
- Use your favorite herbs. If there’s something you aren’t crazy about, such as thyme, leave it out. This recipe is easily customizable.
- Go easy on the garlic to start. Some fresh garlic is more pungent than others, so start light with a small clove and add more if needed. Too much garlic in this cream cheese can lead to a burning sensation.
- This recipe was adapted from a cream cheese recipe on Food.com. Their recipe includes Parmesan cheese which would be a great option if you’d like to add some cheese flavor.
Other cream cheese recipes you may love:
Herb and Garlic Cream CheesePrint Pin SaveSaved!
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter - softened
- 1 Small Garlic Clove - minced or pressed
- ½ Teaspoon Dried Parsley
- ½ Teaspoon oregano
- ½ Teaspoon dill weed
- ¼ Teaspoon thyme
- ¼ Teaspoon Dried Basil
- ¼ Teaspoon kosher salt - or to taste
- Place all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Use a hand mixer to beat until creamy and smooth.
- Transfer to an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use. Store in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.
- Please see information in the post/article for answers to frequently asked questions.