Classic Dinner Rolls are a must for any meal. Warm, soft, fluffy, topped with a dollop of butter, these dinner rolls will be flying off the table. Even the most novice of chefs can shine with this easy recipe!
These classic Dinner Rolls are the perfect addition to any meal! Try them with Creamy Mushroom Chicken and Garlic Mashed Potatoes. Or pair them with our mouthwatering Baked Flounder with Lemon Garlic and Butter, Chicken Piccata, and a side of Honey Sriracha Brussel Sprouts!
Sometimes the bread before dinner can suddenly take center stage and before you know it, you’ve completely filled up before ever getting to the entree! Trust me, these classic Dinner Rolls will do just that.
Easy to make (trust in the process) with just a little bit of prep work, these rolls come out perfectly soft, fluffy, light, and oh so buttery. You won’t be able to eat just one… I dare you to try!
How to Make Dinner Rolls
- Start by greasing a 9×13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the 3 cups (360 g) of flour, the milk, yeast, salt, melted butter, and egg by using a stand mixer with a dough hook on low speed.
- Add in the additional flour ¼ to ½ cup (30 g – 60 g) at a time until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Adjust the speed of the mixer to medium for about 5-6 minutes. The dough should be smooth, elastic, and not sticky.
- Form the dough into a smooth ball and transfer it to a large, lightly greased bowl. Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel and allow it to double in size. This usually takes about 30 minutes to an hour depending on the room temperature. Check periodically until it reaches the appropriate size.
- After the dough has doubled in size, punch it down to deflate it. Separate the dough into about 12 equal pieces. You can always weigh the dough to make sure the pieces are the same size.
- Roll the dough pieces into balls and place them into the prepared 9×13-inch baking dish. Cover with a clean towel or piece of greased plastic wrap and allow them to double in size once more. Again, about 30 minutes to an hour.
- While the rolls rise, preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Bake the dinner rolls for 17-22 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Brush the tops with melted butter and serve warm fresh from the oven. Enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Don’t skip the process of letting your dough rise twice. It’s important in order to get those perfectly fluffy rolls.
- If you don’t have a stand mixer or bread hook attachment, you can still mix the dough then knead it by hand.
- Try topping your dinner rolls with an egg wash or extra butter for an extra golden hue.
- Add poppy or sesame seeds to the top of your dinner rolls for a bit of crunch and texture.
- Play with flavored butters like honey or raspberry to put a spin on this classic recipe.
- To ensure all the dinner rolls are the same size, use a kitchen scale to weigh out the dough for each roll.
How to shape dinner rolls?
The best way to shape rolls is to weigh the dough on a kitchen scale to ensure each roll is the same size. Form the dough into a ball in your hand by making it into a round purse-like shape. Tuck the bottom of the dough into itself and pinch it shut. Place the pinched portion flat on the baking pan. The rounded, smooth portion should be facing up.
How do you make dinner rolls without a mixer?
If you don’t have a stand mixer, combine the ingredients in a large mixing bowl until a shaggy dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough by hand for 8-10 minutes or until it becomes smooth and elastic.
Why are my dinner rolls dense?
The most common reason is because the dough has been overworked and the gluten is overdeveloped. This can lead to the rolls feeling heavy and dense instead of light and fluffy.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: Any leftover dinner rolls can be stored in plastic wrap or an airtight container for up to 3 days on your kitchen counter.
Freezer: You can freeze any leftovers wrapped tightly in tin foil and placed in a freezer safe bag for up to three weeks.
Reheating: When reheating, simply heat in the microwave until warmed through, about 10-15 seconds. If frozen, thaw completely before serving and warm in the oven.
- 4 ½ - 5 cups (450 g - 600 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups (340 ml) milk, warmed to 110-115°F
- 2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (57 g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer on low speed, use a dough hook to combine 3 cups (360 g) of flour, milk, yeast, salt, melted butter, and egg.
- Add additional flour ¼ to ½ cup (30 g - 60 g) at a time until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Adjust the speed to medium for 5-6 minutes. The dough should be smooth, elastic, and not sticky.
- Form the dough into a smooth ball, and transfer it to a large, lightly greased bowl. Cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and allow it to double in size, about 30 minutes to an hour depending on the room temperature.
- After the dough has doubled in size, punch it down to deflate it. Separate the dough into about 12 equal different pieces. We like to weigh the dough to ensure the pieces are the same size.
- Roll the pieces into balls, and place them into the prepared 9x3-inch baking dish. Cover with a clean towel or piece of greased plastic wrap, and allow to double in size, about 30 minutes to an hour.
- While the rolls rise, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the rolls for 17-22 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Brush the tops with melted butter, and serve warm.
- See post for storage options.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 roll. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 215mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 7g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.