*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
A no-fuss crockpot ham and cabbage soup recipe using fresh cabbage, carrots, onions, celery, garlic, and smoked ham.
With Fall approaching Kim and I have been working on some heartier dishes to share.
For today’s recipe, we’re sharing my slow-cooker ham and cabbage soup.
It’s a super easy dump and go recipe that uses fresh ingredients to create a savory, warm soup.
For my version, I like to use an apple smoked ham. Applewood has a nice flavor that pairs well with cabbage and pork.
Now, you could use bacon, but I don’t recommend tossing it into the crockpot raw, unless you enjoy soft, chewy bacon.
How to make crockpot ham and cabbage soup?
First, chop the ham and wash and core the cabbage. You want to remove that tough inner core from the vegetable.
Also, go ahead and give the cabbage a rough chop. Dice the onions, carrots, celery and mince the garlic.
Next, add the ham, cabbage, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, broth (or water), bay leaves, salt, and pepper to the cooker.
In regards to the liquid (water or broth), you do have 2 options. For more information, please refer to the tips section.
Then, cover the soup and let it cook for 3-4 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low.
Keep an eye on the soup while it cooks, if you need to add more liquid, go ahead and do so.
Last, remove the lid and taste test the veggies. If the cabbage and carrots are soft, then the dish is finished.
That’s it, your slow-cooker ham and cabbage soup recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy it and wish you all the best 🙂
- Once the video is uploaded, you’ll notice we added liquid twice. That’s because not everyone has a massive crockpot. Kim started with about 4-cups of liquid, let the soup cook down a little, and added more during the cooking process. Depending on the size of your cooker, you may have to do this as well.
- Applewood smoked ham isn’t always easy (or cheap) to come by. In a pinch you could use regular pre-cooked ham and add a little something extra. Wash, peel, core, and dice an apple. Toss that into the cooker to add an apple flavor to the soup.
- This dish can be high in sodium, but you do have a few options. For example, buy low-sodium ham and low-sodium broth; or use water in place of the broth.
- Don’t forget to remove the bay leaves before serving the soup. Nobody wants to bite into an inedible, dried spice.
Other soup recipes you may love:
Don’t forget to check out our Ham and Cabbage Soup web story!
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Meat and Potatoes and our sister site, Berly’s Kitchen.
- 1 Pound Precooked Ham, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Head Cabbage, core removed and rough chopped
- ½ Cup Carrots, sliced
- ½ Cup White Onion, sliced
- ¼ Cup Celery, chopped
- 10 Cups Broth or Water, or a combination of both
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Bay Leaves
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Pepper
Combine all the ingredients, except broth, in a 7-quart slow cooker. Pour 3 to 4 cups of broth into the slow cooker, cover, and cook on high for 1 hour or low for 2 hours.
Remove the lid, stir, and check to see how much liquid is in the soup (will vary depending on how much liquid the cabbage releases). Add additional broth or water to just barely cover the ingredients. We used about 10 cups total (including the 3 to 4 cups in the first step). Stir to combine.
Add the lid, and continue to cook for an additional 2 to 3 hours on high or 3 to 5 hours on low. Stir occasionally.
The soup is finished when the vegetables and cabbage are tender.
Remove the bay leaves and enjoy hot. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of about 1.5-cups of the finished crockpot ham and cabbage soup.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 1073mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 4gSugar: 11gProtein: 23g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.