Decadent and savory, these Mashed Sweet Potatoes are lightly seasoned and flavored with butter, garlic, and heavy cream. The perfect indulgent side for any savory meal!
Mashed Sweet Potatoes compliment an array of dinners and dishes. Serve alongside some of our favorites like our oven roasted Apple Cider Marinated Pork Loin or our mouthwatering Boneless Skinless Baked Chicken Breast Recipe.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
The easiest dishes are usually the tastiest. Take for example, these mashed sweet potatoes! Not only are they scrumptious, they’re also wonderfully easy to prepare. All it takes is a small list of ingredients and a few minutes of your time for a filling side dish to grace your family table. These sweet potatoes are perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or just a regular Thursday night dinner.
Sweet potatoes tend to get overlooked when it comes to the side dish department. Or they’re relegated to the dessert table by being smothered in sticky marshmallows. Well, we’re here to bring them to the dinner table and bring this underrated dish to the main event. You can even make a vegan version by substituting the heavy cream and butter.
Mash up these sweet potatoes with our savory suggestions or customize them with your own. Make them savory or make them sweet – either way these nontraditional mashed potatoes can’t be beat!
How To Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- To prep your sweet potatoes, start by rinsing, drying, peeling (optional) the potatoes. Once cleaned, dice the potatoes into chunks or cubes.
- Place the sweet potatoes and garlic into a large pot and cover them with water by about 1 inch. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, usually about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Drain off the water and return the sweet potatoes to the pot. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes to your desired consistency. Add in the heavy cream, butter, remaining salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Garnish with fresh parsley if desired and serve hot.
Tips and Variations
- Peel the sweet potatoes or keep the skin on for added texture (our personal preference).
- To reduce the fat in the dish, consider using milk or half and half in place of the heavy cream.
- Top these sweet potatoes with fresh chopped parsley or even sauteed onions.
- For a sweet alternative, skip the garlic and sprinkle in some cinnamon sugar add a dollop of cinnamon butter. Top with honey butter and chopped walnuts or candied pecans.
- Add chopped bacon and a drizzle of maple syrup for a unique flavor pallet.
- Add some spice to your sweet potatoes with some chopped jalapeños, red pepper flakes, or sriracha.
- Top with gruyere cheese for savory and melty goodness.
- Make sure to adjust the amount of butter and heavy cream to reach the desired consistency.
Storage and Reheating
Refrigerator: You can store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheating: These Mashed Sweet Potatoes can be reheated in the microwave, oven, or on the stovetop. Cook until warmed through.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 small clove garlic, halved
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Rinse, dry, peel (optional), and dice the sweet potatoes.
- Place the sweet potatoes and garlic in a large pot, and cover them with water by about 1 inch. Add 1 teaspoon of salt, and bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Drain off the water, and return the potatoes to the pot. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes to the desired consistency. Add the heavy cream, butter, remaining salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Garnish with fresh parsley if desired. See post for storage options.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of about ½ cup of the mashed sweet potatoes. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information and tips, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 878mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 8gSugar: 15gProtein: 5g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.