Homemade Taco Seasoning is so easy and full of flavor, you’ll never want to buy those little packets from the store ever again! Save yourself time and money by using staples that are already in your pantry to create the perfect blend of spices. Make an extra large batch and never run out on Taco Tuesday again!
Add this taco seasoning mix to our juicy Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts for some amazing shredded chicken tacos. Or for some added spice and flavor, mix it into our filling Stovetop Chili!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
Homemade Taco Seasoning is so easy to make and you probably have the required mix of seasonings in your pantry already! This mix is easily customizable to your preferences and can be made in less than five minutes, honestly probably closer to 30 seconds this recipe is so simple.
You’ll never want to buy the tiny store bought packets again. Simply toss all the seasonings into a small bowl, mix, and store and you’ve got homemade taco seasoning for all your Taco Tuesdays! Double, triple, or quadruple this recipe so you never run out.
This taco seasoning is perfect on chicken, turkey, steak, even fish! Use it to season veggies or rice for some fun flavor. You can also add it to your favorite soup or chili. Savory, smoky, and a little spicy this mix can’t be beat.
For the best flavor make sure you’re using fresh spices and that you store this mix (and any of your seasonings and spices) away from the stove and in a cool, dark place. This helps ensure the freshest flavors.
If you’re buying new spices to restock the staples, richly colored spices are your best bet. That means they still have their fresh flavors. Dull colored spices means they;ve been sitting on the shelf for a while already and won’t have as potent of a flavor.
How To Make Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Combine the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, smoked paprika, oregano, cumin, and black pepper together in a small bowl. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Use this seasoning mix to season ground beef, steak, or chicken.
Taco Seasoning Tips and Variations
- Any of these seasonings can be adjusted to your taste. Feel free to use more or less of any of them or eliminate some altogether.
- This recipe can easily be doubled, tripled, or quadrupled to make a larger batch.
- Add more chili powder for more heat.
- Store bought taco seasoning packets are typically about 2-3 tablespoons of seasoning so this homemade batch will last you a few meals.
- Add a touch of water to your meat when using this seasoning so the meat stays moist while cooking.
Storage: Store this homemade taco seasoning in a jar or airtight container in your pantry for up to 6 months.
More Ways To Use This Homemade Taco Seasoning:
Taco SeasoningPrint Pin SaveSaved!
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients together in a small bowl.1 tablespoon chili powder1 tablespoon garlic powder1 tablespoon onion powder1 tablespoon kosher salt2 teaspoons smoked paprika2 teaspoons oregano1 ½ teaspoon cumin1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Use 2-3 tablespoons of seasoning per 1 pound of ground beef.
- Keep any leftover seasoning in a sealed container for up to 6 months.