Our sausage and cabbage skillet features tender cabbage and savory smoked kielbasa cooked to perfection in a cast iron skillet.
We’re all looking for ways to save a little money when it comes to feeding our family.
However, that doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice flavor to keep some change in your pocket.
For today’s recipe, we’re sharing our filling and delicious sausage and cabbage skillet recipe.
Not only is this meal cost effective ( about 2.50 USD per serving), it’s a whole meal created in one pan.
So, clean-up is a breeze. In my opinion, dinner doesn’t get much better than that!
Looking for another simple, one-pan meal? Then check out our sausage green beans and potatoes recipe!
How to make sausage and cabbage skillet?
First, wash and dry the cabbage. After that, core it and either shred it or slice it into thin ribbons.
Next, slice the Kielbasa sausage into 1/4-inch pieces as well. Peel, core and slice the apples and peel and dice the onions.
Now, with the prep work out of the way, it’s time to heat a large skillet over low-medium heat.
Once the pan is warm, add 1-teaspoon of oil and the sausage. Let the meat brown for about 6-minutes.
When the sausage starts to crisp, toss in the onions. Allow the mixture to cook for about 4-minutes.
Then, add the rest of the oil, the cabbage, salt, and pepper. Keep stirring the ingredients as they cook for another 5-minutes.
Afterward, toss in the apple slices and allow the mixture to cook for another 4-minutes.
Last, turn off the heat and stir in the apple cider vinegar. Also, do a quick taste test and add more salt and pepper if needed.
That’s it, your sausage and cabbage skillet recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy it and wish you all the best 🙂
Oh, any leftovers can be stored in a sealed container, in your fridge, for up to 3-days.
- You can use ground sausage in this recipe. However, the meat will need to cook until it’s done (more than 6-minutes).
- The apples and apple cider vinegar are optional. Leave them out if you prefer.
- A time-saving tip is buy pre-shredded cabbage and pre-sliced apples. Stores like Publix often carry these options.
- If you’re like me, then you prefer sauerkraut and sausage. You can use a store-bought version or our homemade raw sauerkraut.
Sausage and Cabbage SkilletPrint Pin SaveSaved!
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 2 Teaspoons Cooking Oil of choice
- 14 Ounces Kielbasa Sausage smoked and cut into ¼ inch thick quarters
- 1 Cup White Onion diced
- 2 Lbs. Green Cabbage washed, cored, and shredded (about 1 head)
- 2 Granny Smith apples washed, cored, peeled, and thinly sliced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- Heat a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven over low to medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon cooking oil and the sausage pieces.
- Cook for 5 to 7 minutes until the sausage begins to brown, then add the onion. Continue cooking for an additional 3 to 5 minutes until the onion softens.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil, cabbage, salt, and pepper. Cook until the cabbage begins to wilt, about 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Next, add the apples and cook until they just start to soften slightly, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the apple cider vinegar, and additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve hot.