No need to go out for a sweet treat when you can make these delicious Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats at home. This recipe is easy to follow and results in a batch of rice krispie treats that are flavored with creamy peanut butter along with a chocolate topping to make them extra delicious. Perfect as a dessert or after-school snack for kids and adults!
Rice krispie treats are a dessert made from rice cereal, marshmallows, and butter. They were first created in the 1930s by Mildred Day, who worked at the Campfire Girls organization. The recipe was published in Ladies Home Journal in 1948. Rice Krispie treats have been popular ever since!
One of the best features of this dessert is how easily customizable the flavors are. For this recipe, we use creamy peanut butter instead of marshmallows to add a delicious nutty flavor along with its classic creamy and crunchy texture.
An optional layer of chocolate gets added on top for an extra bit of sweetness. This dessert requires absolutely no baking, so it’s perfect for anyone who is short on time but needs something sweet and satisfying.
Make them for a birthday party, school function, or just to have on hand for when the sweet tooth strikes!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Puffed Rice Cereal – You’ll need either Rice Krispies or any other plain version of puffed rice cereal to make up the base of this recipe.
- Natural Peanut Butter – Adds peanut butter flavor and helps bind the ingredients together.
- Honey – Naturally sweetens this dessert while adding thickness and texture.
- Coconut Oil – Gives these treats a rich texture when used to help thin out the peanut butter and honey mixture.
- Vanilla Extract – Infuses these treats with a light vanilla flavor.
- Chocolate Chips – Melted and added on top for a delicious chocolate finish.
- Garnish – Sea salt or extra peanut butter makes a great garnish on top that enhances the flavor and texture.
How To Make Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Prepare the tools: Line a 9×9-inch pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine the wet mixture: Add the peanut butter and honey to a small saucepan. Heat over low heat and stir constantly until both are fully mixed through without boiling. Remove from heat, then stir in the coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Assemble the treats: Add the cereal to a large bowl, then pour the wet mixture on top. Stir until fully combined, then press the mixture into the prepared baking pan in an even layer.
- Melt the chocolate: Add the chocolate to a microwave-safe bowl and melt in 15-second intervals while stirring to melt fully. Spread the chocolate over the top of the treats with a spatula.
- Optional Garnish: While the chocolate is still wet, add a sprinkle of sea salt or additional peanut butter.
- Set, slice, and serve: Place the finished treats into the fridge for 15 minutes to begin setting. Remove and cut into squares, then return to the fridge for an additional 20 minutes to finish setting before serving.
- When mixing the wet ingredients, be sure to keep an eye on the mixture to make sure it does not boil as it can burn easily.
- If the chocolate is too thick, add a teaspoon of coconut oil or vegetable shortening to thin it out.
- If you are using any garnish or toppings, make sure you add them while the chocolate is wet to make sure they stick to the top.
- Instead of using the microwave to melt the chocolate, you can use a double boiler or place the bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- These rice krispie treats can be stored in the fridge to keep the chocolate from melting, but it will dry out the treats faster. It’s best to keep them in a cool, dry area.
- Toppings: Try using different toppings on top of these peanut butter rice Krispie treats for a fun and festive look. Chopped nuts, sprinkles, or mini marshmallows would all be great options.
- Flavor variations: You can also change up the flavor of these treats by using a different nut butter like almond or cashew butter.
- Different cereal: This recipe also works with other types of puffed cereal such as corn or wheat puffs.
- Flavor extracts: Instead of using vanilla extract, try using other extracts like peppermint or almond for a different flavor profile.
What is the best type of peanut butter to use for these treats?
Can these rice Krispie treats be made without chocolate?
Storing and Freezing
Storing: These peanut butter rice krispie treats store best in an airtight container in a cool, dry area for 4-5 days. They can be stored in the refrigerator but may dry out faster than at room temperature.
Freezing: To freeze, place them in an airtight container and place them in the freezer for up to two months. To thaw, let them sit at room temperature for a few hours before serving.
- 4 ½ cups puffed rice cereal
- 1 ½ cups natural peanut butter (sugar free variety)
- ⅔ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Sea salt or extra peanut butter, for garnish (optional)
- Line a 9x9-inch pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix the peanut butter and the honey in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until the ingredients are well combined and easy to stir. Don’t allow the mixture to boil or burn.
- Remove from heat and add the coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Pour the mixture over the cereal, and stir until combined. Transfer to the prepared pan, and use a spatula to flatten the top in an even layer.
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave while stirring every 15 seconds until smooth and melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the rice krispie treats, and use a spatula to spread it evenly.
- Optional: sprinkle with sea salt or drizzle with extra peanut butter.
- Place the pan into the refrigerator for 15 minutes to set. After 15 minutes, take the pan out of the refrigerator and cut the rice krispie treats into squares.
- Return the pan to the refrigerator, and leave them in for an additional 20 minutes or until the chocolate has hardened.
- Serve chilled or slightly warmed to room temperature. See post for storage options.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 peanut butter treat. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 295Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 145mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 3gSugar: 19gProtein: 8g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.