This Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie is the perfect breakfast, snack, or even dessert. It’s made with peanut butter, frozen bananas, milk and yogurt to create the thickest, creamiest smoothie.
Easy Peanut Butter Smoothie Recipe
Smoothies are such a great way to pack a bunch of nutritious ingredients into one on-the-go breakfast. And this banana peanut butter smoothie is no different.
It’s made with peanut butter, banana, yogurt, and your choice of milk, so it makes a quick breakfast option!
What are the Best Bananas to Use in a Peanut Butter Smoothie?
You’ll want to use frozen bananas in your peanut butter smoothie. They provide the smoothie with its cold, thick base.
For the best results, cut overripe bananas into rounds and freeze them on a baking sheet for about 1 hour. Drop the frozen bananas into a freezer bag for later.
Some grocery stores sell frozen banana slices which makes this recipe super simple.
If you’d prefer not to use frozen bananas, you’ll need to add a handful of ice cubes to thicken the smoothie.
What Does Adding Peanut Butter to a Smoothie Do?
Peanut butter actually serves a few different purposes in a smoothie:
- Flavor: Peanut butter adds that classic, tasty nutty flavor that pairs deliciously with the flavor of the banana.
- Texture: It helps create a thicker, creamier texture when blended into a smoothie.
- Nutrition: Peanut butter is a great source of protein, healthy fats, and fiber.
What’s the Best Peanut Butter for Smoothies?
That’s totally up to you! You can use an all-natural, creamy peanut butter or a more processed variety such as Jif or Skippy.
What Variety of Milk Works Best for a Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie?
Any variety of milk works in a peanut butter banana smoothie, but a mild-tasting milk works best.
We use regular milk (either 2% or whole milk), but soy milk, unsweetened almond milk, or oat milk make good options.
Coconut milk also works, but its flavor may not mix well with the peanut butter.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Milk: Any variety.
- Bananas: Frozen and sliced.
- Yogurt: Plain Greek yogurt or plain yogurt.
- Peanut Butter: Creamy variety works best.
How to Make a Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
You’ll find the exact measurements and full instructions in the recipe card near the bottom of the page.
This tasty peanut butter and banana smoothie comes together in a total of 5 minutes!
- Place all of your ingredients into a blender, then blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses, garnish as desired, and enjoy.
Tips and Variations
- Make it chocolate. Add a little cocoa powder and turn this smoothie into a chocolate peanut butter smoothie!
- Use a high-speed blender. A good blender makes it so much easier to get the thick, smooth texture we’re going for.
- Make it sweeter. If you like your smoothies a little sweeter, try adding a tablespoon of honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar.
- Add some protein. Feel free to give your smoothie a boost with a scoop of protein powder.
- Kick the fiber up a notch. Add in a scoop of chia seeds, ground flax seeds, or rolled oats.
- Swap the nut butter. You can totally turn this smoothie into an almond butter or cashew butter smoothie if you prefer.
You can serve your peanut butter banana yogurt smoothie on its own as a light breakfast or snack or you can load it up with toppings like granola, chocolate chips, shredded coconut, sliced bananas, or a drizzle of peanut butter.
It’s also delicious served as part of a larger meal. If you want something a little more filling, pair it with a French Omelette, buttermilk biscuits, or a hearty helping of a Breakfast Skillet!
This smoothie is best enjoyed immediately. If you have leftovers, pour them into an ice cube tray and freeze them for later.
Either blend the cubes up with a splash of milk or make them into a smoothie bowl!
Top with fresh bananas, a spoonful of peanut butter, hemp seeds, and a drizzle of chocolate syrup for a decadent breakfast or snack.
- 1 ½ cups milk, any variety
- 2 bananas, large in size, cut into pieces and frozen
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- Place all the ingredients into a blender and process until smooth.1 ½ cups milk2 bananas1 cup plain Greek yogurt3 to 4 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- Pour into glasses, top with banana slices, and a drizzle of peanut butter. Enjoy immediately!
- Scroll up and see the post for tips, FAQs, and storage information.