Our Instant Pot brown rice recipe uses two ingredients to create wholesome brown rice in a pressure cooker using a few simple steps.
On our other blog, Kim and I have used a pressure cooker to create all sorts of dishes. From breakfast to dessert, there's something for everyone.
However, one thing we've noticed is there aren't many pressure cooker recipes that I would label as, "good for you."
Sure, you can find chicken or pork smothered in cheese or gravy. But, it's tough to find dishes with fresh veggies and lean proteins.
So, Kim and I wanted to share Instant Pot recipes for people looking to cut down on heavy sauces and salty meals.
Take for example our pressure cooker coconut rice. We created a tasty rice flavored with coconut milk instead of cheese.
Which, brings us to today's post, our Instant Pot brown rice recipe. It's exactly as advertised.
How to make Instant Pot Brown Rice:
- First, pour the long grain rice and water into the steel liner of the pressure cooker. Stir the ingredients and make sure the water line is above the rice.
- Next, place the liner into the Instant Pot. Now, make sure the rubber seal is in place inside the lid.
- After that, lock the lid into place and close the valve. Press the manual or high pressure cook button.
- Then, set the cook time for 22 minutes. Once the timer goes off, allow for a 10 minute natural release for the brown rice.
- Last, carefully and using a kitchen towel, open the valve to release the remaining pressure. Open the lid and use a spoon or fork to fluff the rice.
What's the ratio of rice to water?
For my stove-top recipes, I always use a 1:2 ratio or for every cup of dry rice, I add 2 cups of water. For pressure cooker rice, Kim uses 1:1.25 ratio.
As you can see from today's recipe she used 2 cups of dry rice and 2.5 cups of water.
What can I add to brown rice for flavor?
Okay, you have a lot of options here. Salt, is the obvious choice; however, we also like adding soy sauce. Here's small list of potential ingredients to flavor your Instant Pot brown rice recipe.
- Soy Sauce
- Chili Powder or Dried Chilies (spicy)
- Garlic Powder or Fresh Garlic
- Onion Powder or Sliced Green Onions
- Teriyaki Sauce (sweet)
- Sesame Seeds
- Peas and Carrots
Looking for another great side dish? Then try our sauteed green beans with bacon recipe!
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 2 cup(s) long grain brown rice, not instant rice
- 2 ½ cup(s) water
- Pour the rice and water into the stainless-steel liner of the Instant Pot. Stir to ensure all the rice is evenly submerged in the water.2 cup(s) long grain brown rice2 ½ cup(s) water
- Close the lid, set the valve to “sealing,” and press the manual (pressure cook) button. Adjust the time to 22 minutes.
- After the time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before opening the valve to release any remaining pressure.
- Carefully open the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve hot as a side dish with your favorite main dish.