Homemade Mayo is quick to make and tastes far superior to the store bought versions. Made with kitchen staples and in under five minutes, this recipe is smooth, creamy, and flavorful. Great for a myriad of recipes, and the perfect condiment, this Homemade Mayo is a must in your recipe repertoire!
Serve your Homemade Mayo atop a juicy, grilled chicken sandwich or sizzling burger, use as a dipping sauce for fries, or use it in our Egg Salad Sandwich, Red Potato Salad, and Cranberry Chicken Salad recipes!
Homemade condiments are always superior to store bought and this Classic Mayonnaise recipe is no different. So much more flavorful and creamy than the mass produced bottles, our recipe uses pantry staple ingredients for a full proof condiment great for a multitude of recipes.
This particular mayo uses a whole egg instead of just the yolk so you don’t even have to worry about the separation process. This homemade mayo comes together in just about 5 minutes with the use of an immersion blender, of course you can use a regular blender (or a food processor) as well without adding any extra time.
Dress up your favorite sandwiches, burgers, and salads. Use as a base for salad dressings or dipping sauces. This classic condiment is versatile, easy, and delicious! A winning combination.
How To Make Homemade Mayo
- Using an immersion blender (or traditional blender or food processor) place the egg, lemon juice, vinegar, Dijon mustard, and salt in the cup (or base).
- Pour in your oil. Pulse (or blend) the ingredients.
- Keep the immersion blender near the bottom of the cup several seconds while the ingredients mix and change in color. Slowly move the blender up the cup a bit to incorporate more oil into the mixture. Move the blender up and down until all the ingredients are well mixed and light in color.
- Transfer the newly mixed mayonnaise to the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Use it to top burgers or sandwiches, to mix salads, or as a base for salad dressings and condiments. Enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- The color of your mayonnaise may differ based on the color of the ingredients used. Oil, eggs, and mustard all have slight color variations which can affect how your mayonnaise looks once blended.
- This recipe does call for an immersion blender and a tall cup in order to properly blend the ingredients. However you can also use a regular blender if you don’t have access to an immersion blender.
- You can use red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar, whichever you may have on hand.
- Try adding roasted garlic or herbs to add even more flavor.
- Mustard adds a bit of tanginess to the flavor of this homemade mayo. If Dijon isn’t your favorite, try any kind you like!
Storage: Store this Homemade Mayonnaise in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Homemade MayoPrint Pin
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoon(s) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon(s) white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar will work in a pinch
- ½ teaspoon(s) Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon(s) kosher salt, or to taste
- ¾ cup avocado, or olive oil
- This recipe uses an immersion blender and the plastic cup that comes with the immersion blender or another tall, skinny container similar to the plastic cup.
- Place the egg, lemon juice, vinegar, Dijon mustard, and salt in the plastic cup.1 large egg2 teaspoon(s) lemon juice1 teaspoon(s) white wine vinegar½ teaspoon(s) Dijon mustard½ teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- Pour the oil in. Then use an immersion blender to pulse the ingredients on the very bottom of the cup.¾ cup avocado
- Keep the blender near the bottom for several seconds while the ingredients mix and change in color. Slowly move the blender up the cup a bit to incorporate more oil into the mixture. Move the blender up and down until all the ingredients are well mixed and light in color.
- Transfer the mayonnaise to the refrigerator until ready to use.
- See post for tips and storage options.