Celebrate Valentine’s Day with Heart Shaped Rice Krispie Treats! Enjoy soft and gooey marshmallow treats cut into adorable heart shapes – perfect for sharing this special day with loved ones.
Valentine Rice Krispie Treats
Making our no-bake heart shaped Rice Krispie Treats for Valentine’s Day is super easy! All you need are some marshmallows, butter, white candy melts, vanilla extract, Rice Krispies cereal, and a heart shaped cookie cutter.
I’ve been making Rice Krispie Treats since I was in high school. Since then, I’ve made tons of variations of the original recipe and I always declare that each new recipe is my favorite.
These Valentine Rice Krispie Treats are no different. Perfectly soft with white candy coating and red, pink, and white sprinkles on one side. They are a fun dessert that everyone will love!
How to Make Heart Shaped Rice Krispie Treats:
These Valentine’s treats come together just like the original recipe, only you’re adding a couple of extra steps to cut them into a fun shape. That’s it!
See the recipe card below for the ingredient amounts and full instructions.
- Grease a 9×13-inch pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in a large pan.
- Set 1 cup of marshmallows aside, and place the remaining marshmallows, vanilla, and salt in the pan with the melted butter. Stir until the marshmallows melt.
- Take the pan off the heat, and stir in the cereal and the remaining 1 cup of marshmallows into the melted marshmallow mixture.
- Transfer the rice krispie mixture to the greased pan and gently press it into place.
- Let the marshmallow treats set for about 30 minutes.
- After the Rice Krispie treats cool, use a 2 to 3-inch metal, heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out heart shapes in the cereal treats.
- Place the vanilla candy melts into a small bowl. Heat on half power in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds intervals until melted and smooth.
- Spread the melted candy over the treats the add the Valentine sprinkles. Cool before serving.
Tips for Success:
- Grease the baking dish or use parchment paper before adding in your Rice Krispie mixture to ensure easy removal of treats.
- Use a metal heart-shaped cookie cutter to get perfectly formed heart-shaped treats with clean edges.
- Allow plenty of time for the treats to cool and set before cutting them into individual servings.
- For added flavor and color, drizzle melted milk chocolate or dark chocolate over your cooled Rice Krispie Treats, or top them with sprinkles, chopped nuts, mini marshmallows, or candy hearts!
- Not all candy melts or white chocolate is created equal. We used off-brand vanilla-flavored candy melts for this recipe, and the result was a thick, frosting-like candy that wasn’t dippable. For a dippable option that can also be drizzled, we recommend Ghirardelli Brand Melting Wafers.
- Melted candy and sprinkles are optionable but add a nice touch. Another option is to use red food coloring to turn the hearts into red or pink Rice Krispie Treats.
Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for 4 to 5 days.
How Do You Shape Rice Krispie Treats?
A metal cookie cutter works well for cutting and shaping marshmallow treats. Press it straight down and push firmly for the cleanest sides.
Wipe the cookie cutter clean as needed to keep the treats from sticking and tearing.
Why are My Valentine’s Rice Krispie Treats so Hard?
There may be a couple of reasons why these treats aren’t soft and gooey.
Make sure you’re lightly pressing the Rice Krispie mixture into the pan. Don’t firmly press it; otherwise, the cereal becomes compressed and crunchy.
Store these Valentine’s treats in a sealed container at room temperature. If they’re stored in the refrigerator, the less humid air dries out the cereal treats and makes them harden quickly.
Why Are My Marshmallow Treats Falling Apart?
Your marshmallow treats may be falling apart because there is too much butter in the recipe. Too much butter results in greasy Rice Krispie Treats that can’t hold their shape, even when they’re cut into squares or in this case, hearts.
Other Dessert Recipes You May Love:
Heart Shaped Rice Krispie TreatsPrint Pin SaveSaved!
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 ounces miniature marshmallows divided
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- ½ cup white candy melts or baking chips; optional
- ¼ cup Valentine sprinkles optional
- Grease a 9×13-inch pan with butter or cooking spray then set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over low heat. Set 1 cup of marshmallows aside, and place the remaining marshmallows, vanilla, and salt in the pan with butter. Stir constantly until the marshmallows melt.3 tablespoons unsalted butter¼ teaspoon kosher salt½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Remove the pan from heat, and stir in the cereal and remaining 1 cup of marshmallows. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and gently pat into place. Let the rice krispie treats cool for about 30 minutes.6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- While the treats cool, place the candy melts into a small microwave-safe bowl. Heat on half power in 15 to 20 seconds intervals, stirring between each interval.½ cup white candy melts
- After the rice krispie treats cool, use a 2 to 3-inch metal heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out heart shapes from the Rice Krispie Treats.
- Drizzle with the melted candy the add the Valentine sprinkles. Cool before serving.¼ cup Valentine sprinkles
- Scroll up and see post for tips, FAQs, and storage information.