Have a delicious English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich anytime! With eggs, cheese, and your choice of bacon, a sausage patty, or Canadian bacon, this handheld meal is perfect for breakfast on the go. It’s loaded with all your favorites and is simple to prepare!
Our English muffin sandwiches are great for a breakfast on the go or a make-ahead freezer meal. Perfect for feeding the family on a lazy Saturday or the kids on the way to school, these sandwiches are totally customizable.
Layer them up with scrambled eggs, egg whites, American cheese, cheddar cheese, Canadian bacon, or sausage. You name it! There’s an English muffin breakfast sandwich for everyone.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- English Muffins: – Plain, Multigrain, Cinnamon, Maple French Toast, Lite, Onion, Garlic, Cranberry, Honey Wheat, Sourdough, or Rye flavored English muffins work. Just make sure all the flavors you choose will taste good together.
- Eggs: Scrambled, over hard, over medium, egg whites, or egg alternative. Choose your favorite.
- Cheese: American, cheddar, pepper jack, provolone, gouda, or mozzarella. Either sliced or shredded cheese works.
- Meat: Sausage patty, bacon, ham, Canadian bacon, or thinly sliced steak are good options.
How to Make an English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich:
There are so many ways to make an English muffin sandwich. John and I have been making them for years, and this is exactly how we make ours!
See the recipe card below for the ingredient amounts and full instructions.
- Place the English muffins in the toaster oven or regular oven. Toast until they reach the desired doneness.
- Beat the egg in a bowl, and season with salt and pepper. We usually beat the eggs separately and pour them into the skillet one at a time.
- Heat a small skillet over low-medium heat and spray lightly with cooking spray. Pour the beaten egg into the skillet and cook in a thin layer until almost done. Then flip and cook the other side.
- Remove the egg from the pan and assemble the sandwiches using your choice of breakfast meat and cheese.
- Return the sandwiches to the toaster oven briefly to melt the cheese. Enjoy!
Tips for Success:
- Use English muffins that are slightly toasted for a crunchy sandwich.
- Pre-cook the bacon or sausage patties before adding them to your breakfast sandwiches.
- To keep the sandwiches warm and fresh, wrap each one in foil after assembly.
- For extra flavor, add sliced tomatoes or avocado slices just before serving!
- You can use any type of cheese – from classic American Cheese slices to sharp cheddar or Gruyere cheese!
- For an eggless version of this breakfast sandwich, top the English muffins with tomato sauce and melted mozzarella cheese for an Italian-style English muffin pizza sandwich!
- If you’re looking for something sweet instead of savory, try topping English muffins with nut butter, banana slices, and honey as a healthy alternative breakfast option!
How to Store and Reheat Your Breakfast Sandwich:
Refrigerator: Store assembled sandwiches in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freezer: Wrap assembled and cooled sandwiches in several layers of foil and freeze for up to 2 months.
Reheat: Wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave on half power until heated through.
Can You Make These Vegetarian?
Yes, they can be made vegetarian! Simply leave out the meat ingredients (bacon, Canadian bacon, or sausage patties) and add in additional vegetables like peppers, onions, tomatoes, avocados, and mushrooms for a tasty vegetarian option.
You could also try switching up the cheese to something like vegan-friendly mozzarella or cheddar.
Are English Muffin Breakfast Sandwiches Freezer Friendly?
Yes, these sandwiches are freezer friendly. They can be easily made ahead of time and frozen for later use. The sandwiches stay fresh and delicious when thawed or reheated!
They make the perfect meal option for breakfast or lunch whether you are eating on the go, stocking up your freezer, or having a weekend breakfast with friends and family.
What Type of Cheese is Best to Use?
The best type of cheese for these breakfast sandwiches is either cheddar, American, or mozzarella. These cheeses melt nicely and add a creamy texture to your sandwich.
Other cheeses such as Swiss, provolone, and Colby can also be used depending on personal preference. Feel free to experiment with different types of cheese to find the combination you love best!
Are There Any Variations of English Muffins that Work Better Than Others?
Yes, different English muffins can work better than others. English muffins with a denser texture, such as whole wheat, are ideal for breakfast sandwiches since they hold up well when toasted and layered with fillings.
Light and fluffy English muffins tend to fall apart more easily when filled with toppings like eggs and cheese. Additionally, varieties like sourdough or multigrain have an added flavor dimension that can enhance the overall taste of the sandwich.
What Other Toppings can be Added?
Alternate topping ideas include vegetables like peppers, onions, tomatoes, avocados, mushrooms, and fresh greens; condiments such as jam or mayonnaise; nut butter for a sweet breakfast sandwich alternative; and herbs like parsley or basil for an added flavor dimension.
Other Breakfast Recipes You May Love:
English Muffin Breakfast SandwichPrint Pin SaveSaved!
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 1 English muffin
- 1 large egg beaten
- Salt and pepper for seasoning egg
- 1 slice Canadian bacon sausage patty or bacon slices
- 1 slice American cheese
- Place the English muffin in the toaster oven.1 English muffin
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and season with salt and pepper.1 large egg
- Cook or heat your choice of breakfast meat in a skillet over medium heat.1 slice Canadian bacon
- Heat a small skillet over low-medium heat and spray lightly with cooking spray. Pour the egg into the skillet and cook in a thin layer until almost done. Then flip and cook the other side.
- Remove the egg from the pan and assemble the sandwich using your choice of breakfast meat and cheese.1 slice American cheese
- Return the sandwich to the toaster oven briefly to melt the cheese. Serve warm!
- Scroll up and see the post for tips, FAQs, and storage options.