This Walnut Pesto is twist on the traditional basil pesto recipe. It’s made of toasted walnuts, garlic, olive oil, and Parmesan cheese, and tastes amazing on pasta or toast.
Basil pesto is one of the best pasta toppings in my opinion. When you want something like pesto, but can’t get your hands on basil, make this toasted walnut pesto instead!
A little bit of this pesto goes a long way. It’s wonderful tossed in fresh pasta or spread over some toasted French bread as an appetizer. This walnut pesto is flavorful, nutty, a little cheesy, and easy to make!
How to make walnut pesto:
- Place walnuts in a small skillet, and toast over low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place the walnuts, garlic, and sea salt into a food processor.
- Pulse the ingredients until the walnuts are finely ground but not a paste.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil.
- Transfer the walnut mixture to a bowl, and fold in the shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Serve on pasta or as a spread on crostini.
Do you have to toast the walnuts?
Can you freeze this pesto?
Can you make a double batch?
Other homemade sauce recipes you may enjoy:
Don’t forget to check out our Walnut Pesto web story!
- 1 Cup Walnuts
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Parmesan Cheese, finely shredded off the block
- Heat a small skillet over low heat. Add the walnuts, and toast for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place the walnuts, garlic, and sea salt in a food processor. Pulse just until the walnuts are finely crushed (not a paste).
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while continuing to pulse.
- Transfer to a bowl, and stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately with pasta, or refrigerate until ready to use.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 2 tablespoons. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 Tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 212Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 98mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.