A homemade creamy mushroom sauce made with baby Bella mushrooms, heavy cream, onions, red wine, and a blend of spices and seasonings.
I’ve been making this creamy mushroom sauce for a while now. It’s rich, decadent and versatile. We decided to serve it over a seared steak instead of making Cajun compound butter and making Cajun butter steak bites. However, with a few changes to the recipe, it can be used in a number of ways. For example, it also be served over noodles for a creamy mushroom pasta.
Also, you can use red or white wine depending on the meat you’re serving. If you’re vegetarian, then use vegetable broth to create a vegetarian version. Like I said before, this sauce has a lot of uses in the kitchen.
Next, place a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onions, salt, pepper, and 1-tablespoon of butter.
Sautee the ingredients for 3-5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Afterward, add the minced garlic.
Let the ingredients cook for another 30-seconds, then pour in the red wine. Use a wooden spoon to deglaze (scrape) the bottom of the pan.
The wine only needs to cook down for about 2-minutes. Just long enough for the alcohol to cook out.
Once the wine has evaporated, toss in the rest of the butter. Reduce the heat to low and let the butter melt.
At this point, you can pour in the heavy cream. Stir the sauce as it comes to a simmer.
Last, keep stirring the sauce while it simmers for about 1-2 minutes to cook down and thicken.
Once it’s done, turn off the heat and serve. Kim and I hope you enjoy the creamy mushroom sauce and wish you all the best 🙂
- Feel free to use this sauce for all sorts of dishes. Serve it over pasta, chicken, beef, or pork. The only thing you might need to adjust is the wine. Also, as long as you don’t use beef stock, you have a tasty vegetarian sauce.
- Keep a close eye on the mushroom sauce once you add the heavy cream. Don’t let the mixture come to a boil; otherwise, it could separate.
- We chose baby Bella mushrooms, but you can use white, button, or even shiitake mushrooms.
- Another great sauce for pork or steaks is our sour cream sauce. If you’d rather not use a sauce, try sautéed mushrooms and onions. It has similar ingredients with great flavor!
Creamy Mushroom SaucePrint Pin SaveSaved!
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms sliced
- ¼ cup white onion sliced or diced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter divided
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced (about 2 cloves)
- ¼ cup red wine or beef broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Heat a medium to large saucepan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onions, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoons of butter. Saute the ingredients for 3 to 5 minutes or until the onions are soft.8 ounces baby bella mushrooms¼ cup white onion½ teaspoon kosher salt¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add the garlic, and continue to cook for 30 seconds. Add the red wine, and deglaze the pan.1 tablespoon garlic¼ cup red wine
- Allow the mixture to cook for approximately 2 minutes, just long enough for the alcohol to cook out.
- Reduce the heat to low, and add the remaining butter. After the butter melts, stir in the heavy cream. Bring the mixture to a simmer. While stirring, let the mixture cook for about another minute.½ cup heavy cream
- Turn off the heat, and serve.