This Egg Salad Sandwich is a family favorite with a twist. We’ve used eggs, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, onion, and capers to give this quick dish a unique spin on the classic.
The classic egg salad sandwich has been one of my son’s favorite meals since he was old enough to chew. My husband has been making it for him for almost 18 years, and the recipe is almost always the same. Eggs, mayo, mustard, pickles or relish, and onions on some form of bread.
For a while, my husband opted for a healthier option and lightened it up with a little less mayonnaise, used lettuce wraps instead of bread, or omitted the bread entirely. Regardless of how you enjoy it, this egg salad sandwich is sure to be a family favorite!
How to make egg salad sandwich:
- Boil and peel the eggs, then chop them into small pieces.
- At this point, you can either add the other ingredients or use a potato masher or fork to mash the eggs to your desired consistency.
- Next, add the mayonnaise, purple onion, Dijon mustard, capers, salt, and pepper.
- Give everything a good stir, taste, and adjust the seasonings if desired.
- Transfer to the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld before placing on croissants or bread and serving.
What are some variations for egg salad sandwich?
Egg salad has a ton of ingredient variations. Here are a handful that we’ve used over the years:
- Yellow Mustard.
- Diced Pickles.
- Spicy Brown Mustard.
- Miracle Whip.
- Diced White Onion.
- Stone Ground Mustard.
- Freshly Chopped Chives.
How do you serve egg salad?
Here are a few of our favorite options:
- Lettuce Wraps.
- Sourdough Sandwich Bread.
- Whole Wheat Wrap.
- All by Itself.
- Hamburger or Brioche Buns.
What is a substitute for mayonnaise in egg salad?
Some of the most common substitutes that we see are hummus or mashed avocado. They blend nicely and add a great flavor to the egg salad.
Egg Salad SandwichPrint Pin SaveSaved!
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 6 large eggs hard boiled and chopped
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup purple onion finely diced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon capers
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch kosher salt
- 4 Croissants for serving
- Boil the eggs, peel them, and chop them into small pieces. Set them aside while you prep the other ingredients.6 large eggs
- Place the chopped eggs in a large bowl. Use a fork or potato masher to smash the eggs to the desired consistency.
- Add the mayonnaise, onion, Dijon mustard, capers, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Taste, and adjust ingredients if desired.⅓ cup mayonnaise¼ cup purple onion2 tablespoons Dijon mustard1 tablespoon capers⅛ teaspoon ground black pepperpinch kosher salt
- Place the egg salad in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes then serve on croissants, bread, or buns. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.4 Croissants