This Green Beans Almondine recipe is the perfect simple side dish! These green beans are cooked until crisp-tender, then tossed with buttery toasted almonds, lemon juice, and a couple simple seasonings.
Easy Recipe for Green Beans Almondine
Don’t you love those dishes that sound fancy but are actually just about the easiest thing you’ll ever make? Say hello to Green Beans Almondine.
A 20-minute, 8-ingredient, insanely versatile recipe that sounds and tastes like you could order it at a fancy restaurant. These green beans are cooked to crisp-tender perfection, tossed with fresh lemon, shallots, sautéed garlic, and buttery toasted almonds.
This simple yet elegant side dish is perfect for the holidays or for an easy weeknight dinner.
How to Make Green Beans with Sliced Almonds
This recipe for green beans almondine definitely sounds and tastes fancy, but takes just 10 minutes to prep. No one has to know you spent next to no time on it!
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, then add in the green beans. Cook until tender and bright green, then drain and immediately place into a bowl of ice water.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt butter, then add in sliced almonds. Cook until lightly toasted, then remove from the pan.
- Melt more butter in the skillet, then add in shallots, green beans, lemon juice, toasted almonds, salt, and pepper.
Tips for this Green Beans Almondine Recipe
- I love the texture of fresh green beans, but frozen will totally work too. Just follow the recipe as-is, but reduce the boil time to avoid over-cooking.
- Blanch the green beans. Blanching means you’ll boil the green beans, then quickly plunge them into an ice water bath. This stops the cooking process so they don’t end up mushy.
- Use fresh lemon juice. It adds such a vibrant pop of flavor. Store-bought lemon juice just isn’t quite the same.
- Slice the shallot small so it distributes throughout the dish well. We want a little bit in every bite.
- Make your dairy-free by swapping the butter out for oil. It will still be delicious!
- Serve immediately. The green beans will lose their perfect texture and freshness and the almonds will soften the longer they sit. I recommend serving them right away.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: Leftover green beans almondine will last in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheating: To reheat, simply warm in a skillet on the stove until heated.
Freezing: I don’t recommend freezing these green beans, because the texture won’t hold up when thawed.
What is the Difference Between Amandine and Almondine?
There is none! Besides the actual word, that is. Green beans amandine and green beans almondine are the same thing. Amandine is the French word while almondine is the Americanized version.
What Do Green Beans Go With?
These green beans are the perfect side dish for the holidays, so I love to serve them alongside
This side dish is definitely not limited to the holidays, though. Feel free to serve it alongside any of your favorite entrees!
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 1 pound fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup shallots, thinly sliced (about 1 medium shallot)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoon(s) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook for 5 to 6 minutes until they turn bright green and are tender but still have a crisp bite. Drain and place in a bowl of ice water to stop them from cooking. Drain again, and set aside.1 pound fresh green beans
- While the green beans cook, heat a large skillet over low-medium heat. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the skillet then add the almonds. Cook the almonds for 3 to 4 minutes until they are lightly toasted.½ cup sliced almonds
- Remove the almonds from the pan and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and shallots. Cook the shallots for 3 to 4 minutes until they soften then add the garlic. Cook for an additional 30 seconds, then add the green beans, lemon juice, toasted almonds, salt and pepper to taste.¼ cup shallots2 garlic cloves2 teaspoon(s) lemon juiceSalt and pepper
- Serve immediately! See post for tips and storage options.