This easy recipe for Apple Cider Donut Cake is the perfect way to enjoy apple cider donuts in cake form! Make this spiced apple cake for any Fall party or to serve on your Thanksgiving dessert table.
Fall is one of our favorite times of the year, but mostly because of the food! The flavors of the season are sweet, warm, and comforting. We love using apples to make all types of dessert including this apple cider donut cake.
Apple cider donuts are the perfect Fall treat. They are perfectly spiced into individual servings while being soft and moist on the inside. This recipe shows you how to make apple cider donuts in a beautiful bundt cake form that is easy to serve on a dessert table.
You’ll make a simple cake base mixing in apple cider and warming Fall spices. Bake it up in a bundt pan, then top with a buttery cinnamon sugar topping that resembles the top of an apple cider donut.
This apple cider donut cake will be a hit amongst family and friends and we wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up on your Thanksgiving dessert lineup!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- A great way to enjoy the flavor of apple cider donuts in a slice of cake.
- This cake makes a great dessert but can also be enjoyed for breakfast if you’re craving something sweet.
- You can enjoy it with a hot Fall drink such as a homemade Chai Latte.
- This cake makes a great gift for friends, family, or neighbors.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Apple Cider Cake Base:
- All-Purpose Flour – Makes up the dry base of the ingredients helping to form the cake to make it sliceable.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda – Helps the cake rise to become light and fluffy.
- Seasonings – A mix of cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, ginger, and ground cloves are used to lightly spice the cake with warming flavors.
- Granulated Sugar – Sweetens up the inside of the apple cider cake base.
- Unsalted Butter – Gives the cake batter a moist texture and buttery rich flavor.
- Eggs – Helps the cake set and hold together while baking and cooling.
- Vanilla Extract – Adds a light vanilla flavor to the cake.
- Apple Cider – Sweetens the cake and gives it a light apple flavor.
- Plain Yogurt – Helps keep the texture of the cake nice and moist and adds protein.
Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
- Granulated Sugar – Gives the topping its classic sweetness and granulated texture.
- Cinnamon – Adds warming flavor to the topping.
- Butter – Helps the topping stick while adding a rich buttery flavor.
How To Make Apple Cider Donut Cake
- Prepare for baking: Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 10 cup bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients: In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and soda, salt, and all the spices and seasonings. Whisk to fully incorporate.
- Mix the wet ingredients: In a stand mixer or bowl with a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together on medium speed until it’s light and fluffy. This should take about 3 minutes. Add each egg one at a time, then add the vanilla and mix until fully combined.
- Mix the apple cider and yogurt: In a separate bowl, whisk the apple cider and yogurt together until fully mixed.
- Add the wet and dry ingredients together: Keep the mixer on low speed, then alternate small batches of the dry ingredients and the apple cider and yogurt ingredients until a thick batter is formed. Do not overmix.
- Bake the apple cider cake: Pour the batter into the prepared bundt cake pan and smooth out the top into an even layer with a rubber spatula. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Let it cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then turn over onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Make the cinnamon sugar topping: While the cake is cooling, make the topping by combining the cinnamon and sugar into a bowl. Melt the butter separately.
- Top the cake and serve: Once the cake is cooled, brush the top with melted butter, then sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture on top. Press gently so it holds. Slice and serve with whipped cream, ice cream or by itself.
Apple Cider Donut Cake Recipe Tips
- For best results, make sure the yogurt, butter, and eggs are at room temperature before mixing to balance the texture while baking.
- It’s important not to overmix the batter as it can become too dense. Mix everything just until combined.
- The cake needs to cool completely before the topping is added as the butter will melt into the cake causing the cinnamon and sugar to not stick properly.
- Bundt cake pans need to be greased properly in order for the cake to invert. You can dust the bundt cake pan with flour after greasing for additional protection from sticking.
- This apple cider donut cake can cook completely between 45-60 minutes depending on your oven and how hot your bundt pan gets. Always check with a skewer for doneness.
- Do not use spiced apple cider for this recipe as it already contains spices and seasonings inside.
- This cake batter can easily be poured into a greased donut pan to make apple cider donuts or apple cider muffins.
- Add in some chopped pecans or walnuts for a nutty taste and crunchy texture.
- Applesauce can be substituted for yogurt for additional apple flavor.
- Make a gluten-free apple cider donut cake by using a gluten-free flour blend that is a 1:1 ratio with regular all-purpose flour.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Store this cake outside of the fridge in an airtight container or cake dome for up to one week. Only slice what you need to keep it as fresh as possible.
Freezing: Individual slices of cake or the entire cake can be wrapped in plastic wrap, and then a layer of aluminum foil and placed into a freezer-safe bag or airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on the countertop before serving.
What does apple cider do to a cake?
Not only does apple cider give the cake a sweet taste, but it also helps the cake rise and stay moist on the inside.
Can I use a boxed cake mix instead?
If you’re short on time, you can use a box of cake mix. Just make sure it’s already spiced or make sure it’s plain yellow and add the spices to it beforehand.
What other toppings can I use?
You can drizzle this apple cider donut cake with caramel sauce, candied nuts, or top it with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Don’t forget to check out our Apple Cider Donut Cake web story!
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup apple cider
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and grease a 10-cup Bundt pan.
For the Cake:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, ginger, and ground cloves.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla, and mix until combined.
- Use a third bowl to combine the apple cider and yogurt.
- Mix on low speed, and add the flour mixture and apple cider yogurt mixture to the butter mixture alternating between dry and wet ingredients beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Don’t overmix!
- Scoop the batter into the prepared Bundt pan, and smooth into an even layer with a spatula. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out mostly clean. The cake should be golden in color. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes before inverting and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
- In a small bowl, combine the granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- Use a pastry brush to apply the melted butter to the cooled cake. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over the cake and press gently so the mixture adheres.
- Slice the cake and serve.
- See post for storage recommendations.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 slice of cake (serves 16) . Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
*Applesauce can be substituted for the yogurt.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 246Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 236mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 4g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.