Our Hamburger Potato Casserole is perfect comfort food for the cooler months. This delicious blend of ground beef, cream of mushroom soup, savory spices, cheese and potatoes, is a hit with both kids and adults.
Have you seen the recipes that look like layers of potatoes au gratin with ground beef, melted cheese, and a creamy sauce?
Our hamburger and potato casserole is similar to those, except I like to dice the potatoes instead of cutting them into slices.
I also use a blend of cream of mushroom soup and milk for the sauce and white cheddar cheese on top for extra creaminess. Yum! It’s one of the easiest hamburger casserole recipes you can make.
Refrigerator: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheating: Reheat individual portions in the microwave on half power until warmed through. Or, cover with aluminum foil and heat in the oven at 350°F until hot.
Hamburger Potato Casserole Tips
- Cut Potatoes Evenly: Make sure your diced potatoes are about the same size, 1/4-inch or less. This way, they all cook at the same rate and you won’t have some pieces too soft and others too hard.
- Season the Beef: You don’t want a bland casserole, so make sure to season the ground beef mixture. Feel free to add a couple of teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce for extra flavor.
- Adjust the Salt: Reduce the salt if you’re watching your sodium intake! Consider using reduced sodium or salt-free condensed soup, too.
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 3 cups potatoes, diced (peeled or unpeeled)
- 10 ½ ounces cream of mushroom soup
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350℉, and lightly spray a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat, and cook the ground beef until it's no longer pink. Drain the excess grease and return the beef to the pan.1 pound ground beef
- Add the onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and continue cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes then remove from heat.½ teaspoon onion powder½ teaspoon garlic powder½ teaspoon Italian seasoning½ teaspoon salt¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add the diced potatoes to the prepared casserole dish, and arrange in an even layer.3 cups potatoes
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the cream of mushroom soup and milk and pour over the potatoes.10 ½ ounces cream of mushroom soup¾ cup milk
- Sprinkle the cooked ground beef over the potatoes and soup mixture. Cover tightly with aluminum foil, and bake for 55-65 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top. Return to the oven and bake, uncovered, for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the cheese melts.1 cup white cheddar cheese
- Serve warm! Scroll up and see the post for substitutions, tips, storage information, and answers to frequently asked questions.