Watermelon Salad is a refreshing blend of salty, sweet, and savory flavors. Fresh watermelon is mixed with fresh English cucumbers, colorful red onion, salty feta cheese, and creamy avocado, tossed in a homemade tangy lime dressing. A fun salad to spice up any summer gathering!
Pair this salad with juicy Grilled Chicken Kebabs with Vegetables or add our Italian Marinated Grilled Chicken into the salad for some protein to make it a whole meal. Serve it alongside our Prosciutto and Melon appetizer to stick with the salty, sweet, and fruity flavors. Or make use of the rest of your watermelon and whip up a glass of refreshing Watermelon Cantaloupe Juice!
Cool, sweet, light watermelon works so well mixed with salty and savory elements. Who knew? We love the blend of flavors in this fresh salad. Not your mother’s fruit salad, our watermelon salad adds creamy avocados, mildly spicy red onions, salty feta cheese crumbles, English cucumbers, and fresh herbs of basil and mint to create a one of a kind flavor palette.
Not to mention the brightly flavored homemade lime dressing that everything is tossed in. What better way to use seasonal fruits, veggies, and herbs! This Watermelon Salad is a hit at parties. You can easily customize the elements and add in extra fruit like strawberries or cantaloupe.
Add a spicy element like jalapenos, or give it even more texture with some cashews or chopped walnuts. Switch up the dressing and try a white wine vinaigrette or a garlic lime vinaigrette. Easily double the recipe for a crowd, or serve this as a unique side dish for family dinner.
How To Make Watermelon Salad
- In a jar with a lid or sealable container, combine the lime juice, olive oil, lime zest, salt, and pepper. Shake vigorously to combine ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or serving dish, add the cubed watermelon, cucumber, avocado, red onion, feta cheese crumbles, basil, and chopped mint. Pour the prepared dressing over the salad and gently toss to combine.
- Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator until ready to enjoy.
Watermelon Feta Salad Tips and Variations
- Our white wine vinaigrette, garlic lime vinaigrette, or your other favorite dressing can be used on this salad. Use as much or as little as you like.
- The avocado and feta give this salad a soft texture while the other ingredients are a bit crunchier. Omit the avocado if desired.
- Add a spicy pepper like a jalapeno or a serrano pepper for a bit of heat in the salad.
- This salad is also delicious with strawberries.
- For added crunch include walnuts or cashews.
Storage: Watermelon salad tends to get a bit, well, watery so it’s best to only store leftovers in the fridge for a day or two. If possible store the salad dressing separately. The dressing will stay fresh for up to a week and can be stored at room temperature.
You can make this salad ahead of time but it’s best to prep all the ingredients and store them separately. Assemble the salad and toss in the dressing just before serving.
Watermelon SaladPrint Pin SaveSaved!
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 3 tablespoons lime juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 watermelon small in size or personal sized, cut into small cubes (about 4-5 cups)
- 1 English cucumber diced (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 cup avocado diced
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- ¼ cup basil chiffonade
- ¼ cup mint chopped
- In a jar with a lid or sealable container, combine the lime juice, olive oil, lime zest, salt and pepper. Set aside.3 tablespoons lime juice2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil1 tablespoon lime zestSalt and pepper
- To a large bowl, add the watermelon, cucumber, avocado, onion, cheese, basil, and mint. Pour the dressing over the ingredients, and toss to combine.1 watermelon1 English cucumber1 cup avocado½ cup feta cheese¼ cup red onion¼ cup basil¼ cup mint
- Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve. See post for storage options.