Light, tangy, and loaded with fresh herbs, this French Potato Salad is perfect to finish out the summer. No heavy mayonnaise here – this recipe utilizes olive oil and white wine vinegar for the base of the dressing. Take tender potatoes, mix in finely minced garlic, fresh oregano, rosemary, and thyme, and a dash of dijon mustard and you’re picnic ready.
French Potato Salad
Summer is almost over, so it’s time to plan out those last minute picnics, BBQs, road trips, and final pool day potlucks before the start of the school year! Beat the remaining heat with a French Potato Salad that won’t leave you loaded down with a traditional heavy mayo dressing.
This recipe is a much lighter take on the classic side dish. The best part is that you can change up the flavors and make an array of variations. Customize your fresh herbs and garnishes to make it unique to your tastes!
Although you don’t have to only whip this dish together for summer, this potato salad will impress your guests all the way to Labor Day.
How To Make French Potato Salad
- Cook the sliced potatoes in a large pot of boiling, salted water until they are fork tender. Typically about 10-12 minutes. Drain the potatoes, and rinse with cool water. Drain again. Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl to cool completely.
- While the potatoes cook (or while they are cooling), in a medium mixing bowl combine the olive oil, white wine vinegar, garlic, and Dijon mustard to make the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the potatoes, and gently toss to combine. Add the chives, oregano, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper to taste. Lightly toss once more.
- Serve slightly warm and enjoy.
French Potato Salad Tips and Variations
- While you can use only one type of potato, the blend of red and gold potatoes really makes this dish stand out.
- Some recipes will have you substitute the white wine vinegar for red wine vinegar. Both provide a great flavor to the dressing.
- Add in a dash of apple cider vinegar for a slightly sweet and tangy flavor.
- Bacon bits (or freshly cooked cooked and chopped bacon) add protein and crunch to the potato salad.
- Fresh dill or freshly chopped green onions are great additions that pack in even more fresh flavor.
- Instead of Dijon mustard, try a spicy brown mustard for a kick, or maybe even a bold horseradish mustard blend!
- If you’re a fan of garlic and want more flavor, increase the amount until properly satisfied.
- Want the potatoes to cool more quickly? Lay them out on a baking sheet or plates.
Storage and Reheating
Refrigerator: Store any leftover potato salad tightly covered for up to 4 days in the fridge.
We don’t recommend reheating or freezing this particular recipe. Serve any leftovers chilled or at room temperature.
- 1 ½ pounds baby gold potatoes, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 ½ pounds baby red potatoes, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the sliced potatoes in a large pot of boiling, salted water until they are fork tender, about 10-12. Drain, and rinse with cool water. Drain again. Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl combine the olive oil, white wine vinegar, garlic, and Dijon mustard.
- Pour the dressing over the potatoes, and gently toss to combine. Add the chives, oregano, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve slightly warm, chilled, or room temperature.
- See post for storage recommendations.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 cup of potato salad. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 73mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.