*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Easy Tomato Basil Soup is classic comfort food. It’s light, packed with fresh flavors, and perfect with a grilled cheese sandwich.
What’s more comforting on a cold winter day than a bowl of homemade tomato soup? There aren’t many things that come to mind.
There’s something about a meaty dish with vegetables that fills you up and keeps you full for hours. Tomato basil soup is different.
Our version is vegetarian recipe if made exactly as written. It’s great for a light lunch or dinner, especially when it’s served with a side sandwich.
While there is no meat in this easy tomato basil soup, it’s just as warm and comforting as a heartier meal. 🙂
How to Make Tomato Basil Soup (No Cream):
There are a few different steps in this recipe, but many of them can be completed simultaneously. To keep things moving along at a good pace, prep all your ingredients first.
Cut the tomatoes in half lengthwise, and place them on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Drizzle them with olive oil, then sprinkle them with salt and freshly cracked pepper.
Remove the top of a bulb of garlic while keeping the bulb intact. The cloves inside the bulb should be exposed.
Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil over the exposed cloves, then wrap the entire bulb with aluminum foil. Place the bulb on the baking sheet with the tomatoes.
Bake at 425°F for 35 to 45 minutes or until the tomatoes begin to soften and shrivel a bit. Remove from the oven, and very carefully unwrap the garlic bulb.
While the tomatoes and garlic roast, caramelize the onions. Heat a medium skillet over low heat.
Add the olive oil and the onions. Stir to coat, then allow the onions to cook for 30 to 40 minutes while stirring every few minutes.
The onions will turn a beautiful amber color and begin to sweeten in flavor. A couple of minutes before the onions finish cooking, toss in the basil leaves.
Cook the basil leaves for 1 to 2 minutes, just long enough to release their flavor and allow them to wilt. Remove the onions and basil from the heat.
If the tomato basil soup is too thick, add a little broth or water to thin it out to your desired consistency. Bring the soup to a simmer over low heat, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
Taste, and add salt and pepper if desired.
How do you make easy tomato basil soup creamy?
The easiest way to make this easy tomato basil soup creamy is to add a little heavy cream after the soup has been blended. I’d recommend starting with 1/4 cup and work up from there.
Bring the temperature of the soup up slowly, so the cream doesn’t curdle. Other options would be to use milk, half and half, crème fraîche, sour cream, or Greek yogurt.
Keep in mind that using a heavier dairy product, such as Greek yogurt, will alter the taste of the soup.
What do you serve with tomato basil soup?
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Rustic Sourdough Bread
- Side Salad
- Garlic Bread or Olive Bread
- Italian Marinated Chicken
- Greek Yogurt Marinated Chicken
Is tomato soup vegan?
This tomato soup recipe is vegan and vegetarian if you use water or vegetable broth to thin out the soup. You can always omit the water or broth altogether.
Furthermore, if you’d like to make a vegan creamy tomato basil soup, simply add a non-dairy milk alternative like soy milk, almond milk, or coconut milk.
Some non-dairy milk alternatives tend to have a heavy flavor (some brands of coconut milk are particularly heavy in coconut flavor) and can change the taste of the soup, so it’s good to know the product before adding a bunch to the soup.
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Meat and Potatoes and our sister site, Berly’s Kitchen.
- 2-3 Pounds Roma Tomatoes, halved (about 8-10 tomatoes)
- 1 Bulb of Garlic
- ⅓ Cup Olive Oil, divided
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 2 Cups White Onion, thinly sliced (about 1 large onion)
- 1 Cup Fresh Basil
- 1 (28 Ounce) Can Whole San Marzano Tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1-2 Cups Water or Broth, optional
For the Roasted Tomatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F, and line a baking sheet with foil. Place the tomatoes on the baking sheet, and drizzle with ¼ cup of olive oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cut the top off the bulb of garlic to expose all the cloves, then drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the remaining olive oil. Wrap the entire bulb with foil, and place the bulb on the baking sheet with the tomatoes.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until the tomatoes begin to soften and shrink slightly. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Carefully remove the garlic from the foil and squeeze out the cloves into a small bowl.
For the Caramelized Onions:
- While the tomatoes roast, make the caramelized onions. Heat a medium skillet over low heat. Add the remaining olive oil and all the onions. Stir to coat the onions in oil, then cook for about 30 to 40 while stirring occasionally. The onions will slowly begin to brown and sweeten.
- Once the onions have turned amber in color, add the basil leaves and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Make the Soup:
- In a large stockpot, add the roasted tomatoes, roasted garlic, caramelized onions and basil, and canned tomatoes. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup to the desired consistency. Add broth or water to thin it out if desired.
- Cover, and turn the heat to low-medium. Allow the soup to simmer for 30 to 35 minutes. Taste, and add salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve hot with grilled cheese or crackers. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1.5 cups of tomato soup. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1.5 Cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 200Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 420mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 4gSugar: 11gProtein: 4g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.