Warm Baked Apples are the perfect dessert year round, but especially during the cozy fall season. Crisp apples are stuffed to the brim with decadent brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, and chopped walnuts and baked to perfection. Top with your favorite vanilla ice cream for the ultimate apple dessert of your dreams!
Pair these baked apples with our Crumble Topping (with Oats) spooned on top just before baking if you really want an indulgent experience. Or serve alongside our naturally sweet, homemade Apple Cider to get your apple fix!
Nothing says fall like the smell of fresh apples. Slice them, core them, put them in a pie, or eat them on their own. Pumpkin may be king in some places, but we think that apple is the real unsung hero of the season.
Easy Baked Apples are the slightly healthier dessert option you’ve been craving. Fresh, crisp apples with a rich and decadent brown sugar and spiced filling. What’s not to love? Serve as a dessert or even eat as an after school snack. This classic comfort food is a cinch to whip up, too. Core the apples, fill, and bake. Simple as that!
Take advantage of the fruit of the season and make a whole bushel of baked apples. We love that this recipe can even be doubled or tripled for a fun party treat. Serve these with a crunchy crumble topping or top with salted caramel and vanilla ice cream. Easy to make and even easier to enjoy!
How To Make Baked Apples
- First, preheat your oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and nuts. Set this bowl aside.
- Wash and dry the apples. We like honey crisp for this recipe. Use an apple corer to remove the center but be sure you leave enough of the bottom intact so the filling doesn’t just run out.
- Spoon equal portions of the filling into each apple, and pack it tightly in place. The filling will melt some as the apples bake so don’t worry about overstuffing them.
- Place the now filled apples into a 2-quart baking dish. Pour the water around the apples in the dish.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the apples are soft.
- Remove the apples from the oven and serve warm with a scoop of your favorite ice cream and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Try drizzling with salted caramel just before serving!
- Cloves, apple pie spice, or allspice are great options to add even more flavor.
- Choose apple types that are round and won’t fall over while baking. Honeycrisp is our go to for this recipe but Granny Smith and Fuji are great options as well.
- Get a real taste of fall and drizzle maple syrup over top.
- Swap the walnuts for salted peanuts and add a dollop of creamy peanut butter for a unique take on a classic combination.
Storage and Reheating
Refrigerator: Store these baked apples in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3-4 days for the freshest flavor.
Reheating: You can reheat these apples in the microwave. One minute should do just the trick
- 4 large apples (We used Honeycrisp.)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup water, for the baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and nuts if using. Set aside.
- Wash and dry the apples. Use an apple corer to remove the center ensuring that you leave enough of the bottom intact so the filling doesn’t run out.
- Spoon equal portions of filling into each apple, and pack it tightly in place. The filling will melt some as the apples bake.
- Place the apples into a 2 quart baking dish, and pour the water around the apples.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the apples are soft. Remove from the oven and serve warm with your favorite ice cream, if desired.
- See post for storage options.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 baked apple. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 apple
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 388Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 13mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 6gSugar: 46gProtein: 2g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.